- Daniel PatanellaAffiliated withNew York City Department of Education
- , Chandra EbanksAffiliated withFlorida International University
Anastasi studied at Barnard College, and then earned her doctorate at the age of 21 from Columbia University under supervision from Henry Edward Garrett (1894–1973).
Anastasi taught at Barnard College and Queens College, where she would be the psychology department’s chairperson, before joining Fordham University in 1947. It was at Fordham where she would spend the remainder of her long and successful academic career. Anastasi’s early mathematical aptitude translated easily into the world of psychological measurement and, influenced by the work of both Leta Stetter Hollingsworth (1886–1939) and Charles Spearman (1863–1945), she developed a nationwide reputation as an expert – as well as a critic – regarding standardized testing.
Anastasi cautioned against the interpretation of test scores as indicative of primarily genetically-based ability and stressed the importance of environment, ...
Reference Work Entry Metrics
- Anastasi, Ann
- Reference Work Title
- Encyclopedia of Child Behavior and Development
- pp 93-94
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer US
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media, LLC
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 480. Neurology, Learning and Behavior Center
- 481. Department of Psychology MS 2C6, George Mason University
- Author Affiliations
- 1. New York City Department of Education, 52 Chambers Street, room 309, New York, NY, 10007, USA
- 2. Florida International University, 11200 S. W. 8th Street, Miami, FL, 33199, USA
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.