- Lacy Allen M.S., Clinical Psychology Doctoral Student
- … show all 1 hide
Abort; Dilation and Evacuation (D&E); Miscarriage; Termination
(1) The spontaneous or induced termination of pregnancy after conception. (2) To miscarry a nonviable fetus .
An abortion is a legal, safe, and effective medical method to stop or interrupt the growth and development of a fetus. Even though abortion is a legal medical procedure, the availability of services has been under political and ethical debate for quite some time . In fact, the availability of abortion services depends on federal and state policies. However, in the United States, abortion has not always been under ethical and political debate. As a matter of fact, up until the second half of the nineteenth century, abortion was not viewed as morally wrong if it was performed before 4–5 months of pregnancy. During the second half of the nineteenth century, abortion was preformed quite frequently using drugs, special potions, and techniques espoused by popular medical guides. Additional ...
- Abortion. (1998). In Mosby's medical, nursing, & allied health dictionary (5th ed.).
- Anderson, M. L. (2003). Thinking about women: Sociological perspectives on sex and gender (6th ed.). Boston: Pearson Education.
- National Abortion Federation. (2008). Abortion facts. http://www.prochoice.org/about_abortion/facts/medical_abortion.html. Accessed July 15, 2008.
- Planned Parenthood Federation of America. (2008). Abortion. http://www.plannedparenthood.org/health-topics/abortion-4260.htm. Accessed July 12, 2008.
- Women’s Health Policy Program. (2008). Abortion in the U.S.: Utilization, financing and access. http://www.kff.org/womenshealth/3269-02.cfm. Accessed July 10, 2008.
- Reference Work Title
- Encyclopedia of Child Behavior and Development
- pp 5-7
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer US
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media, LLC
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 480. Neurology, Learning and Behavior Center
- 481. Department of Psychology MS 2C6, George Mason University
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Clinical Psychology, Floride Institute of Technology, 887 Thomas Barbour Dr., Melbourne, FL, 32935, USA
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.