Global Assessment of Functioning Scales
- Lori J. WarnerAffiliated withBeaumont Children’s Hospital, Center for Human Development
Global assessment of functioning scales are intended for use by mental health professionals to rate the overall functioning of their patients, taking into account occupational/school, social, and psychological symptoms.
There is consensus that clinical indices of overall functioning have utility in treatment of mental illness and impairment . Functional impairment is often the impetus for clinical referral and entry into treatment . Additionally, global assessment scales allow clinicians to integrate information from many areas of the patient’s functioning into one clinically meaningful index . This information can then be used in planning treatment and evaluating outcome of interventions.
Reference Work Entry Metrics
- Global Assessment of Functioning Scales
- Reference Work Title
- Encyclopedia of Child Behavior and Development
- p 704
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer US
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media, LLC
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 480. Neurology, Learning and Behavior Center
- 481. Department of Psychology MS 2C6, George Mason University
- Lori J. Warner (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Beaumont Children’s Hospital, Center for Human Development, 1695 W. 12 Mile Road, Ste. 120, Berkley, MI, 48072, USA
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.