Video Coding Techniques and Standards
Video Compression Techniques
Video coding techniques and standards are based on a set of principles that reduce the redundancy in digital video.
Digital video has become main stream and is being used in a wide range of applications including DVD, digital TV, HDTV, video telephony, and teleconferencing. These digital video applications are feasible because of the advances in computing and communication technologies as well as efficient video compression algorithms. The rapid deployment and adoption of these technologies was possible primarily because of standardization and the economies of scale brought about by competition and standardization. Most of the video compression standards are based on a set of principles that reduce the redundancy in digital video.
Digital video is essentially a sequence of pictures displayed overtime. Each picture of a digital video sequence is a 2D projection of the 3D world. Digital video thus is ca ...
- Furht, B. (1994) “dMultimedia Systems: An Overview,”. IEEE Multimedia Vol. 1: pp. 47-59
- Furht, B., Greenberg, J., Westwater, R. (1996) “Motion Estimation Techniques for Video Compression,”. Kluwer Academic, Norwell, MA
- Gall, D.L. (1991) “MPEG: a Video Compression Standard for Multimedia Applications,”. Communications of the ACM Vol. 34: pp. 46-58
- Haskell, B.G., Puri, A., Netravali, A.N. (1996) “Digital Video: An Introduction to MPEG-2,”. Chapman & Hall, London
- Liou, M. (1991) “Overview of the P–64 kbit/s Video Coding Standard,”. Communications of the ACM Vol. 34: pp. 59-63
- Netravali, A.N., Haskell, B.G. (1995) “Digital Pictures – Representation, Compression and Standards,”. Plenum, New York
- Marpe, D., Schwartz, H., Weigand, T. (July 2003) “Overview of the H.264/ AVC Video Coding Standard,”. IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology Vol. 13: pp. 560-575
- Mitchell, J.L., Pennebaker, W.B., Fogg, C.E., LeGall, D.J. (1996) “MPEG Video Compression Standard,”. Digital Multimedia Standards Series. Chapman & Hall, London, pp. 135-169
- F. Pereira and T. Ebrahimi, “The MPEG-4 Book,” IMSC, Prentice-Hall PTR, 2002.
- Pennebaker, W.B., Mitchell, J.L. (1992) ‘JPEG Still Image Data Compression Standard,”. Kluwer Academic, Dordecht
- Rao, K.R., Yip, P. (1990) “Discrete Cosine Transform: Algorithms, Advantages, Applications,”. Academic, London
- Richardson, I. (2003) “H.264 and MPEG-4 Video Compression,”. Wiley, London
- Video Coding Techniques and Standards
- Reference Work Title
- Encyclopedia of Multimedia
- pp 899-904
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer US
- Copyright Holder
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.