- Peter T. Higgins
- … show all 1 hide
Vetting; Credit check; Personal information search; Preemployment screening; Disclosure check; Criminal record search; Criminal history check
There are multiple types of Background checks that all involve reviewing past, recorded behavior:
Job Applicants: When people apply for a position of trust (e.g., a school teacher, a lawyer, or bank teller) a background check is part of the way of determining if the applicant is suitable – a positive result. These are known as Applicant or Civil Background Checks. In the US:
If there is a state or federal law requiring a national check then applicant fingerprints (with minimal supporting biographic information) can be submitted to the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) for a search.
If the applicants are seeking federal employment then their biographic data and fingerprints can be submitted to the FBI for a search.
If the applicants are applying for a job not covered by a state or federal law they ar ...
- Simon A. Cole.: Suspect Identities: A History of Fingerprinting and Criminal Identification. Harvard University Press (2001), ISBN 0-6740-1002-7
- HHS personnel Security/Suitability Handbook; SDD/ASMB 1/98
- Robert O’Harrow, Jr.: No Place To Hide. Free Press, New York (2005), ISBN 0-7432-5480-5
- Robert O’Harrow, Jr.: No Place To Hide, p. 131. Free Press, New York (2005), ISBN 0-7432-5480-5
- Robert O’Harrow, Jr.: No Place To Hide, p. 137. Free Press, New York (2005), ISBN 0-7432-5480-5
- International Labour Conference, Equality in Employment and Occupation: General Survey by the Committee of Experts on the Application of Conventions and Recommendations ILO, Geneva (1988)
- On the record; Guidelines for the prevention of discrimination in employment on the basis of criminal record; November 2005; Minor Revision September 2007; Australian Human Rights and Equal Opportunity Commission.
- http://www.crb.gov.uk/Default.aspx?page = 310
- Background Checks
- Reference Work Title
- Encyclopedia of Biometrics
- pp 49-55
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer US
- Copyright Holder
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. Center for Biometrics and Security Research, Chinese Academy of Sciences
- 2. Departments of Computer Science & Engineering, Michigan State University
- Peter T. Higgins (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Higgins, Hermansen, Banikas, LLC, VA, USA
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.