- Emilia C Lopez
- … show all 1 hide
In 2001, the National Clearinghouse for English Language Acquisition and Language Instruction estimated that over four million students who attend public schools were limited English proficient or English language learners (ELLs). The Clearinghouse also estimated that these students spoke over 400 different languages. Their families tend to have difficulties communicating with school professionals owing to limited skills in the English language. The number of ELLs will continue to increase during the twenty-first century. School psychologists and other school professionals often enroll the services of school interpreters to communicate better with ELLs and their families.
The term translation refers to the process of changing messages produced in one language to another language. The source language is that from which one translates, whereas the language into which the translation is made is referred to as the target language. The terms “interpreters” and “translat ...
- Lopez, E. C. Best practices in working with school interpreters to deliver psychological services to children and families. In: Thomas, A., Grimes, J. eds. (2002) Best practices in school psychology IV (pp. 1419 1432). National Association of School Psychologists, Bethesda, MD
- Lopez, E. C. (2000) Conducting instructional consultation through interpreters. School Psychology Review 29: pp. 378-388
- Rogers, M. R., Ingraham, C. L., Bursztyn, A., Cajigas-Segredo, N., Esquivel, G., Hess, R. (1999) Best practices in providing psychological services to racially, ethnically, culturally, and linguistically diverse individuals in the schools. School Psychology International Journal 20: pp. 243-264 CrossRef
- The National Association of School Psychologists—http://www.nasponline.org: The National Association of School Psychologists provides several documents focusing on working with interpreters.
- Reference Work Title
- Encyclopedia of Cross-Cultural School Psychology
- pp 547-553
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer US
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media LLC
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.