- Mariano P. Consens
- … show all 1 hide
Structural index; Structural summary; Path index; Dataguide; Synopsis; Sketch
Structure indexing creates summaries of the structure present in semi-structured data collections by grouping data items with similar structure, providing a mechanism to index such items. Since semi-structured data models are commonly represented by labeled graphs or trees (the XML data model being a prime example), structural indexes or summaries are naturally described as graphs where nodes represent sets of data items (called extents), and where edges represent structural relationships between the corresponding extents derived from the instance data. A concrete physical index can be created by selecting appropriate data structures to store the graph and the extents.
Structure indexing helps to find data items that satisfy structural constraints in queries by locating nodes in the structural summary graph that satisfy the query conditions (expecting far less summary nodes t ...
- Buneman P., Choi B., Fan W., Hutchison R., Mann R., and Viglas S. Vectorizing and querying large XML repositories. In Proc. 21st Int. Conf. on Data Engineering, 2005, pp. 261–272.
- Chung C.-W., Min J.-K., and Shim K. APEX: an adaptive path index for XML data. In Proc. ACM SIGMOD Int. Conf. on Management of Data, 2002, pp. 121–132.
- Consens M.P. and Milo T. Optimizing queries on files. In Proc. ACM SIGMOD Int. Conf. on Management of Data, 1994, pp. 301–312.
- Consens M.P., Rizzolo F., and Vaisman A.A. AxPRE summaries: exploring the (semi-)structure of XML web collections. In Proc. 24th Int. Conf. on Data Engineering, 2008, pp. 1519–1521.
- Freire J., Haritsa J.R., Ramanath M., Roy P., and Simeon J. StatiX: making XML count. In Proc. ACM SIGMOD Int. Conf. on Management of Data, 2002, pp. 181–191.
- Goldman R. and Widom J. Dataguides: enabling query formulation and optimization in semistructured databases. In Proc. 23th Int. Conf. on Very Large Data Bases, 1997, pp. 436–445.
- Kaushik R., Bohannon P., Naughton J.F., and Korth H.F. Covering indexes for branching path queries. In Proc. ACM SIGMOD Int. Conf. on Management of Data, 2002, pp. 133–144.
- Kaushik R., Shenoy P., Bohannon P., and Gudes E. Exploiting local similarity for indexing paths in graph-structured data. In Proc. 18th Int. Conf. on Data Engineering, 2002, pp. 129–140.
- Milo T. and Suciu D. Index structures for path expressions. In Proc. 7th Int. Conf. on Database Theory, 1999, pp. 277–295.
- Nestorov S., Ullman J.D., Wiener J.L., and Chawathe S.S. Representative objects: concise representations of semistructured, hierarchial data. In Proc. 13th Int. Conf. on Data Engineering, 1997, pp. 79–90.
- Polyzotis N. and Garofalakis M.N. XSketch synopses for XML data graphs. ACM Trans. Database Syst., 31(3):1014–1063, 2006.
- Qun C., Lim A., and Ong K.W. D(k)-index: an adaptive structural summary for graph-structured data. In Proc. ACM SIGMOD Int. Conf. on Management of Data, 2003, pp. 134–144.
- Rizzolo F. and Mendelzon A.O. Indexing XML data with ToXin. In Proc. of Fourth Int. Workshop on the Web and Databases, 2001, pp. 49–54.
- Young-Lai M. and Tompa F.W. One-pass evaluation of region algebra expressions. Inform. Syst., 28(3):159–168, 2003.
- Structure Indexing
- Reference Work Title
- Encyclopedia of Database Systems
- pp 2857-2862
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer US
- Copyright Holder
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. College of Computing, Georgia Institute of Technology
- 2. Database Research Group David R. Cheriton School of Computer Science, University of Waterloo
- Author Affiliations
- 1. University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.