Publish/Subscribe over Streams
Publish/subscribe (pub/sub) is a many-to-many communication model that directs the flow of messages from senders to receivers based on receivers’ data interests. In this model, publishers (i.e., senders) generate messages without knowing their receivers; subscribers (who are potential receivers) express their data interests, and are subsequently notified of the messages from a variety of publishers that match their interests.
Distributed information systems usually adopt a three-layer architecture: a presentation layer at the top, a resource management layer at the bottom, and a middleware layer in between that integrates disparate information systems. Traditional middleware infrastructures are tightly coupled. Publish/Subscribe  was proposed to overcome many problems of tight coupling:
With respect to communication, tightly coupled systems use static point-to-point connections (e.g., remote procedure call) between senders ...
- Publish/Subscribe over Streams
- Reference Work Title
- Encyclopedia of Database Systems
- pp 2211-2216
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer US
- Copyright Holder
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. College of Computing, Georgia Institute of Technology
- 2. Database Research Group David R. Cheriton School of Computer Science, University of Waterloo
- Author Affiliations
- 1. University of Massachusetts Amherst, MA, USA
- 2. University of California-Berkeley, Berkeley, CA, USA
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.