Parallel and Distributed Data Warehouses
- Todd Eavis
- … show all 1 hide
Scalable decision support systemsHigh performance data warehousing
To support the burgeoning data volumes now encountered in decision support environments, parallel and distributed data warehouses are being deployed with greater frequency. Having evolved from haphazard and often poorly understood repositories of operational information, the data warehouse itself has become one of the cornerstones of corporate IT architectures. However, as the underlying operational databases grow in size and complexity, so too do the associated data warehouses. In fact, it is not unusual for many corporate or scientific repositories to exceed a terabyte in size, with the largest now reaching 100 TB or more. While processing power has grown significantly during the past decade, the sheer scale of the workload places enormous strain on single CPU data warehousing servers. As a result, some form of data and/or query distribution is often employed in production environmen ...
- Akal F., Böhm K., and Schek H.-J. OLAP query evaluation in a database cluster: a performance study on intra-query parallelism. In Proc. 6th East European Conf. Advances in Database and Information Systems, 2002, pp. 218–231.
- Dehne, F., Eavis, T., Rau-Chaplin, A. (2006) The cgmCUBE project: optimizing parallel data cube generation for ROLAP. J. Distr. Parallel Databases 19: pp. 29-62
- DeWitt, D., Ghandeharizadeh, S., Schneider, D., Bricker, A., Hsaio, H., Rasmussen, R. (1990) The gamma database machine project. Trans. Knowl. Data Eng. 2: pp. 44-62
- DeWitt, D., Gray, J. (1992) Parallel database systems: the future of high performance database systems. Commun. ACM 35: pp. 85-98
- Eavis T., Dimitrov G., Dimitrov I., Cueva D., Lopez A., and Taleb A. Sidera: a cluster-based server for online analytical processing. In Proc. Int. Conf. on Grid Computing, High-Performance, and Distributed Applications, 2007.
- Fiser B., Onan U., Elsayed I., Brezany P., and Tjoa A.M. On-line analytical processing on large databases managed by computational grids. In Proc. 15th Int. Conf. Database and Expert Syst. Appl., 2004, pp. 556–560.
- Furtado C., Lima A., Pacitti E., Valduriez P., and Mattoso M. Physical and virtual partitioning in OLAP database clusters. In Proc. Int. Symp. on Computer Architecture and High Performance Computing, 2005, pp. 143–150.
- Goil S. and Choudhary A. High performance multidimensional analysis of large datasets. In Proc. 1st ACM Int. Workshop on Data Warehousing and OLAP, 1998, pp. 34–39.
- Jin, R., Vaidyanathan, K., Yang, G., Agrawal, G. (2005) Communication and memory optimal parallel data cube construction. IEEE Trans. Parallel Distr Syst. 16: pp. 1105-1119
- Morse, S., Isaac, D. (1998) Parallel Systems in the Data Warehouse. Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs
- Özsu, M.T., Valduriez, P. (1999) Principles of distributed database systems. Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ
- Röhm U., Böhm K., and Schek H.-J. Routing and physical design in a database cluster. In Advances in Database Technology, Proc. 7th Int. Conf. on Extending Database Technology, 2000, pp. 254–268.
- Scheuermann, P., Weikum, G., Zabback, P. (1998) Data partitioning and load balancing in parallel disk systems. VLDB J. 7: pp. 48-66
- Sismanis Y., Deligiannakis A., Roussopoulos N., and Kotidis Y. Dwarf: shrinking the PetaCube. In Proc. ACM SIGMOD Int. Conf. on Management of Data, 2002, pp. 464–475.
- Stohr T., Märtens H., and Rahm E. Multi-dimensional database allocation for parallel data warehouses. In Proc. 26th Int. Conf. on Very Large Data Bases, 2000, pp. 273–284.
- Parallel and Distributed Data Warehouses
- Reference Work Title
- Encyclopedia of Database Systems
- pp 2012-2018
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer US
- Copyright Holder
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. College of Computing, Georgia Institute of Technology
- 2. Database Research Group David R. Cheriton School of Computer Science, University of Waterloo
- Todd Eavis (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Concordia University, Montreal, QC, Canada
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.