Parallel Query Execution Algorithms
- Goetz GraefeAffiliated withHewlett-Packard Laboratories
Parallel query execution algorithms employ multiple threads that together execute a single query execution plan, with the goal of increased processing bandwidth and decreased response time. Multiple forms of parallelism may be employed in isolation or in combination. Most parallel query execution algorithms are serial algorithms executed in multiple threads, usually with no or only minor adaptations to function correctly or efficiently in the multi-threaded environment.
Set-oriented query languages and the relational algebra have given rise to query optimization and parallel database processing almost from their beginning in the 1970s. They represented a new complexity or liability in database software design as non-procedural languages and physical data independence prevent users from specifying query processing steps and thus require an automatic system component to p ...
Reference Work Entry Metrics
- Parallel Query Execution Algorithms
- Reference Work Title
- Encyclopedia of Database Systems
- pp 2030-2035
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer US
- Copyright Holder
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. College of Computing, Georgia Institute of Technology
- 2. Database Research Group David R. Cheriton School of Computer Science, University of Waterloo
- Goetz Graefe (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Hewlett-Packard Laboratories, Palo Alto, CA, USA
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.