The southernmost of the British Windward Islands in the Lesser Antilles, Grenada is situated at about 12°N and 62°W. It was formerly part of the British West Indies, becoming independent in 1974. The island was discovered by Columbus in 1498 and originally named “Concepción.” It was settled by the French in 1650 but occupied by Britain after 1783. The capital is St. George's, where there is a good harbor.
Climatically the islands lie in the NE trade wind belt, but are rarely struck by hurricanes. The precipitation is very variable, with a maximum on the windward side, ranging there to over 4000 mm, dropping to only 1000 mm in the S. The rainy season is from May to December. The greatest heat occurs from July to September, the maximum being 32.4°C and the minimum 19.9°C.
The coastline is strongly cliffed, especially on the western side, but the southern coast is more gentle, dissected into 20 long, drowned valleys (up to 1 km across and as mu ...
- Anglejan, B., Mountjoy, E.W. (1973) Submerged reefs of the Eastern Grenadines shelf margin. Bull. Geol. Soc. Am. 84: pp. 2445-2454
- Davis, W.M. (1926) The Lesser Antilles. Am. Geogr. Soc., Publ. 2: pp. 207
- Earle, K.W. (1924) Geological Survey of Grenada and the Grenadines. Govt. Printing Off, Grenada
- Rea, W.J., 1970. “Andesites of the Lesser Antilles,” Proc. Geol. Soc. Lond. (1662), 39–46.
- Robson, G.R., Tomblin, T.F. (1966) West Indies. Catalogue of the Active Volcanoes of the World including Solfataric Fields. Intern. Assoc. Volcanol., Naplespp. 56
- Robinson, E., Jung, P. (1972) Stratigraphy and age of marine rocks, Carriacou, West Indies. Bull. Am. Assoc. Petrol. Geologists 56: pp. 114-127
- Sapper, K., 1903. “Besuch der Insel St. Vincent,” Centralbl. Geol. Min., 248–258.
- Schuchert, C. (1929) Geological history of the Antillean region. Bull. Geol. Soc. Am. 40: pp. 327-360
- Sigurdsson, H., Tomblin, J.F., Brown, G.M., Holland, J.G., Arculus, R.J. (1973) Strongly under-saturated magmas in the Lesser Antilles Island Arc. Earth Planet. Sci. Lett. 18: pp. 285-293
- Trechmann, C.T. (1935) Geology and fossils of Carriacou, W. I.. Geol. Mag. 72: pp. 529-555
- St. Vincent; West Indies; Windward Islands.
- Reference Work Title
- World Regional Geology
- Reference Work Part
- pp 300-301
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Encyclopedia of Earth Science
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Dowden, Hutchinson & Ross, Inc.
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.