- H. P. Laubscher
- … show all 1 hide
History of the Concept and Scale of Its Manifestation
Décollement is French and means ‘detachment, coming unglued.’ It is used for phenomena involving bedding plane slippage or slippage on incompetent layers and thus describes a ubiquitous set of phenomena, some of which are also labeled by terms such as detachment faulting, disharmonic folding, mechanical decoupling, bedding plane faulting, gravity sliding, and thin-skin tectonics.
The history of the concept is very old. Independent movement of a rug on the floor or a tablecloth (nappe in French) on a table has been part of our daily experience from time immemorial. Transitional stages to large-scale structural phenomena are subaquatic sliding (Fig. 1) with sometimes minute beds folded and wrinkled like a tablecloth, and of the same dimension, over large-scale slides (Fig. 2), to independent movements of entire sedimentary sequences, particularly in marginal fold and thrust belt ...
- Bally, A. W.; Gordy, P. L.; and Stewart, G. A., 1966, Structure, seismic data and orogenic evolution of southern Canadian Rocky Mountains, Canadian Petroleum Geol. Bull. 14, 337–381.
- Bird, P., 1978, Finite element modeling of lithosphere deformation: the Zagros collision orogeny, Tectonophysics 50, 307–336. CrossRef
- Cook, F. A.; Albaugh, D.; Brown, L.; Kaufman, S.; Oliver, J.; and Hatcher, R., 1979, Thinskinned tectonics in the crystalline southern Appalachians, Geology 7, 563–567. CrossRef
- Davis, D.; Suppe, J.; and Dahlen, F. A., 1983, Mechanics of fold-and-thrust belts and accretionary wedges, Jour. Geophys. Research 88, 1153–1172.
- Hafner, W., 1951, Stress distributions and faulting, Geol. Soc. America Bull. 62, 373–398.
- Hubbert, M. K., and Rubey, W. W., 1959, Role of fluid pressure in mechanics of overthrust faulting, 1. Mechanics of fluid-filled porous solids and its application to overthurst faulting, Geol. Soc. America Bull. 70, 115–166.
- Laubscher, H. P., 1972, Some overall aspects of Jura dynamics, Am. Jour. Science 272, 293–304. CrossRef
- Laubscher, H. P., 1983, Detachment, shear, and compression in the central Alps, Geol. Soc. America Mem. 158, in press.
- Leggett, J. K., ed., 1982. Trench-Forearc Geology: Sedimentation and Tectonics on Modern and Ancient Active Plate Margins. Oxford: Blackwell Scientific Publications, 576p.
- Le Pichon, X.; Angelier, J.; and Sibuet, J. C., 1982, Plate boundaries and extensional tectonics, Tectonophysics 81, 239–256. CrossRef
- Mueller, St., 1982, Deep structure and recent dynamics in the Alps, in K. J. Hsü, ed., Mountain Building Processes. London: Academic Press, 263p.
- Müller, W. H., and Hsü, K. J., 1980, Stress distribution in overthrusting slabs and mechanics of Jura deformation, Rock Mechanics. Suppl. 9, 219–232.
- Oxburgh, E. R., 1972, Flake tectonics and continental collision, Nature 239, 202–204. CrossRef
- Rutter, E. H., 1976, The kinetics of rock deformation by pressure solution, Royal Soc. London Philos. Trans. Series A 283, 203–219.
- Suppe, J., 1983, Geometry and kinematics of fault-related parallel folding: 1. Fault-bend folding, Am. Jour. Sci. in press.
- Voight, B., 1976, Mechanics of thrust faults and decollement, in Benchmark Papers in Geology / 32, Stroudsburg: Dowden, Hutchinson & Ross, 471p.
- Cordilleran Metamorphic Core Complexes.
- Reference Work Title
- Structural Geology and Tectonics
- Reference Work Part
- pp 187-190
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Encyclopedia of Earth Science
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Van Nostrand Reinhold Company Inc.
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.