Hamada, reg, serir, gibber, saÏ
- Rhodes W. Fairbridge
- … show all 1 hide
In hot desert regions a number of deflational relief or textural landforms are developed that have received specific names, mainly of Arabic origin, stemming from the Sahara or Arabia.
Hamada or hammada is a desert high plain or plateau where deflation has removed the finegrained surface materials and left behind a surface of sand-scoured bedrock with or without a veneer of pebbles or boulders (Gautier, 1935). The word hamada in Arabic means strictly a rocky plane FJELL; also pr Vol. VI surface, and the term rock plain is sometimes given as the English equivalent.
The terms Reg (in the western Sahara), or Serir (in the eastern Sahara) or Gibber Plain (Australia), or Saï (Tarim Desert, central Asia), apply to a sandy plain or broad depression largely covered by lag gravels or angular boulders, from which the finer soil and sediment has been stripped by eolian ablation. As noted by Termier (1963), the regs of the Sahara tend to be followed b ...
- Capot-Rey, R., Cornet, A., and Blaudin de Thé, B., 1963, Glossaire des principaux termes géographiques et hydrogéologiques sahariens, Alger, Inst. Rech. Sahariennes, 82pp.
- Gautier, E. F., 1935, Sahara, the Great Desert, New York, Columbia University Press (translated by D. F. Mayhew), 264pp.
- Hills, E. S., 1940, The Physiography of Victoria, Melbourne, Whitcombe and Tombs, 292pp.
- Johnson, D. W., 1932, Rock planes in arid regions, Geogr. Rev., 22, 656–665. CrossRef
- Lelubre, M., 1952, Conditions structurales et formes de relief dans le Sahara, Univ. d'Alger, Trav. Inst. Rech. Sahariennes, 8, 189–238.
- Termier, H., and Termier, G., 1963, Erosion and Sedimentation, London and Princeton, D. van Nostrand Co., 433pp. (translated by D. W. and E. E. Humphries).
- Ablation; Arid Cycle; Bolson; Desert Varnish; Duricrust; Sabkha; Ventifact.
- Hamada, reg, serir, gibber, saÏ
- Reference Work Title
- Reference Work Part
- pp 520-521
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Encyclopedia of Earth Science
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Reinhold Book Corporation
- Additional Links
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.