- John R. Barnes
- … show all 1 hide
Software rarely has much effect on a system's radiated and conducted emissions (electromagnetic compatibility, EMC), but it can have a huge effect on the system's:
Tolerance for operator errors, misuse, and abuse.
Immunity to electromagnetic interference (EMI).
Immunity to electrostatic discharge (ESD).
Some things that software can do that may reduce emissions are:
Staggering the starting/stopping of motors, instead of starting/stopping them simultaneously.
Switching a UART from input mode to output mode by going input-tristate-output, instead of input-output.
Using RAM inside the microprocessor/microcontroller for frequently-used variables.
Not sending high-data-rate signals to peripherals that don't need them.
We want to protect the system from:
Transient errors ...
- Designing for Immunity to Pulsed EMI. Wilmington, MA: KeyTek, 1990, pp. 77–81.
- Handbook of EC EMC Compliance. Boxborough, MA: Compliance Design, 1993, pp. 57, 58.
- Handbook of EU EMC Compliance. Boxborough, MA: Compliance Design, 1995, pp. 56, 57.
- Handbook of EU EMC Compliance. Boxborough, MA: Compliance Design, 1996, pp. 62.
- Arsenault, J. E., and Roberts, J. A., Reliability & Maintainability of Electronic Systems. Computer Science Press, 1980, pp. 424–433.
- Boxleitner, Warren. Electrostatic Discharge and Electronic Equipment. New York: IEEE Press, 1989, pp. 15–19.
- Bull, J. H., Guide to Achieving Immunity from Electrical Interference. Leatherhead, Surrey, England: ERA Technology, 1986, pp. 47, 48.
- Ganssle, Jack G., The Art of Programming Embedded Systems. New York: Academic Press, 1992, pp. 34, 35, 64, 86–100.
- Goedblood, Jasper, Electromagnetic Compatibility. New York: Prentice Hall, 1990, pp. 288–290.
- Greason, William D., Electrostatic Damage in Electronics: Devices and Systems. New York: John Wiley & Sons, 1987, pp. 179–182.
- Greason, William D., Electrostatic Discharge in Electronics. New York: John Wiley & Sons, 1992, pp. 144, 145.
- Kimmel, William D., and Gerke, Daryl D., Electromagnetic Compatibility in Medical Equipment. New York: IEEE Press, 1995, pp. 99, 100.
- Lee, P. A., and Anderson, T., Fault Tolerance–Principles and Practices 2nd edition. New York: Springer-Verlag, 1981, pp. 95–121, 143–187.
- Leveson, Nancy G., Safeware: System Safety and Computers. Boston, MA: Addison-Wesley, 1995, pp. 433–446.
- Mardiguian, Michel, Controlling Radiated Emissions by Design, 2nd Edition. Boston, MA: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 2001, pp. 83.
- Mardiguian, Michel, Electrostatic Discharge: Understand, Simulate and Fix ESDProblems. Gainesville, VA: Interference Control Technologies, 1986, pp. 5.10–5.12.
- O'Hara, Martin, EMC at Component and PCB Level. Boston, MA: Newnes, 1998, pp. 161–170. CrossRef
- Ott, Henry W., Noise Reduction Techniques in Electronic Systems, 2nd Edition. New York: John Wiley & Sons, 1988, pp. 344–348.
- Paul, Clayton R., Introduction to Electromagnetic Compatibility. New York: John Wiley & Sons, 1992, pp. 687.
- Perez, Reinaldo, Handbook of Electromagnetic Compatibility. New York: Academic Press, 1995, pp. 824.
- Schmidt, Michael, Implementing the IEEE Software Engineering Standards. Indianapolis, IN: SAMS, 2000, pp. 6, 7, 160–169.
- Stephans, Richard A., and Talso, Warner, System Safety Analysis Handbook, 2nd Edition. Albuquerque, NM: System Safety Society, July 1997, pp. 6-15–6-19.
- Williams, Tim, EMC for Product Designers. 2nd Edition. Oxford, UK: 1996, pp. 194–197.
- “Designing with Microcontrollers in Noisy Environments,” ST Application Note AN435, 1998. download from http: //appnote.stts.edu/thompson/2488.Pdf
- “Using Software Design Techniques to Maximize Z8(R) MCU System Noise Immunity,” Zilog Application Note AP96Z8X0100, 1997. download from http: //www.zilog.com/pdfs/z8otp/z8_app.pdf
- “Using Software Techniques to Maximize Z8 MCU System Noise Immunity,” Zilog Application Note AN003701-Z8X0400, 2000. download from http: //www.zilog.com/pdfs/z8otp/an_noise_imm.pdf
- Banyai, Chris, and Gerke, Daryl, “EMI Design Techniques for Microcontrollers in Automotive Applications,” Intel Application Note AP-711, Feb. 1996. download from http: //support.intel.co.jp/design/auto/mcs96/applnots/272673.htm
- Barnes, John R., “Design Hooks to Enhance Card Testing,” (unpublished). November 18, 1991.
- Barnes, John R., “Designing Electronic Equipment for ESD Immunity Part II,” Printed Circuit Design website, November 2001. download from http: //www.dbicorporation.com/esd-art2.htm
- Barnes, John R., “Designing Electronic Systems for ESD Immunity,” Conformity, vol. 8 no. 1, pp. 18–27, February 2003. download from http: //www.conformity.com/0302designing.pdf
- Black, J. P., Taylor, D. J., and Morgan, D. E., “A Compendium of Robust Data Structures,” The Eleventh Annual International Symposium on Fault-Tolerant Computing, Portland, MN, June 24–26, 1981, pp. 129–131.
- Black, J. P., Taylor, D. J., and Morgan, D. E., “An Introduction to Robust Data Structures,” 10th Annual International Symposium on Fault-Tolerant Computing, Kyoto, Japan, Oct. 1–3, 1980, pp. 110–112.
- Campbell, Dugald, “Designing for Electromagnetic Compatibility with Single-Chip Microcontrollers,” Motorola Semiconductor Application Note AN1263, 1995. download from http: //mot-sps.com/mcu/documentation/pdf/an1263.pdf
- Chesworth, E. Thomas, “EMI-Hardened Microprocessor System Hardware and Software,” EMC EXPO 88 Symposium Record, Washington, D.C., May 10–12, 1988, pp. T35.9–T35.11.
- Chesworth, E. Thomas, “EMI-Hardened Microprocessors and Software,” Electromagnetic News Report, vol. 25 no. 2, pp. 18–20, Mar./Apr. 1997.
- Daszczuk, Wiktor B., “Invariant testing techniques for debugging a structured operating system,” Microprocessors and Microsystems, vol. 11 no. 4, pp. 205–208, May 1987. CrossRef
- Gerke, Daryl, and Kimmel, Bill, “The Designer's Guide to Electromagnetic Compatibility,” EDN, vol. 39 no. 2, pp. S3–S114, January 20, 1994.
- Halse, R. G., and Preece, C., “Erroneous execution and recovery in microprocessor systems,” Software and Microsystems, vol. 4 no. 3, June 1985, pp. 63–70. CrossRef
- Jarrett, Dick, “Software fault tolerance staves off the errors that besiege uP systems,” Electronic Design, vol. 32 no. 16, pp. 187–202, Aug. 9, 1984.
- Krause, Bill, “Use Processor Redundancy for Maximum Reliability,” Communication Systems Design, vol. 8 no. 2, pp. 28–34, February 2002.
- Milward, John, “Safety-related design in microprocessor-based automotive applications,” Microprocessors and Microsystems, vol. 14 no. 5, pp. 318–323, June 1990. CrossRef
- Murphy, Niall, “Watchdog Timers,” Embedded Systems Programming, vol. 13 no. 12, pp. 112–124, Nov. 2000.
- Ong, R. H. L., Pont, M. J., and Peasgood, W., “A comparison of software-based techniques intended to increase the reliability of embedded applications in the presence of EMI,” Microprocessors and Microsystems, vol. 24, pp. 481–491, 2001. CrossRef
- Randell, Brian, “System Structure for Software Fault Tolerance,” IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, vol. SE-1 no. 2, pp. 220–232, June 1975.
- Rao, K. N., “Fail-Safe Microcomputer Software,” SAE Transactions, 810159, section 1 vol. 90, pp. 661–666, 1981.
- Taylor, David J., “Error Models for Robust Storage Structures,” 20th International Symposium on Fault-Tolerant Computing, Chapel Hill, NC, June 26–28, 1990, pp. 416–422.
- Taylor, David J., and Black, James P., “Guidelines for Storage Structure Error Correction,” The Fifteenth Annual International Symposium on Fault-Tolerant Computing, Ann Arbor, MI, June 19–21, 1985, pp. 20–22.
- Taylor, David J., and Black, James P., “Principles of Data Structure Error Correction,” IEEE Transactions on Computers, vol. 31 no. 7, pp. 602–608, July 1982. CrossRef
- Taylor, David J., Morgan, David E., and Black, James P., “Redundancy in Data Structures: Improving Software Fault Tolerance,” IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, vol. SE-6 no. 6, pp. 585–594, Nov. 1980. CrossRef
- Taylor, David J., Morgan, David E., and Black, James P., “Redundancy in Data Structures: Some Theoretical Results,” IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, vol. SE-6 no. 6, pp. 595–602, Nov. 1980. CrossRef
- Taylor, David J., and Seger, Carl-Johan H., “Robust Storage Structures for Crash Recovery,” IEEE Transactions on Computers, vol. C-35 no. 4, pp. 288–295, Apr. 1986. CrossRef
- Williams, Kimball, “Microprocessor Software for EMI Recovery,” 1987 IEEE International Symposium on Electromagnetic Compatibility Symposium Record, Atlanta, GA, Aug. 25–27, 1987, pp. 297–301.
- Williamson, Tom, “Designing Microcontroller Systems for Electrically Noisy Environments,” Intel Application Note AP-125, December 1993, pp. 4.
- Yoshihara, Katando, Koga, Yoshiaki, and Ishihara, Toyohiko, “A Robust Data Structure Scheme with Checking Loops,” 13th Annual International Symposium on Fault-Tolerant Computing, Milano, Italy, June 28–30, 1983. pp. 241–248.
- Reference Work Title
- Robust Electronic Design Reference Book
- pp 849-859
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer US
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag US
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.