- Joanne Bourgeois
- … show all 1 hide
In a geomorphological sense, the term accretion refers to the addition of sediments to a topographic feature, usually in a lateral sense (lateral accretion). Fisk (1959) used the term accretion ridge to describe an ancient beach ridge inland of a modern beach on a prograding coastline. Shoreline sediments that could be abandoned by accretion include beach ridges, cheniers, and barriers (Russell, 1968; Todd, 1968; Hoyt, 1969). Ball (1967) used the term beachaccretion bedding to describe the low-angle bedding produced by an accreting beach face.
Reineck and Singh (1980) review various processes of shoreline accretion. Raised beaches abandoned because of eustatic lowering of sea level or tectonic uplift would not be accretion ridges.
- Ball, M. M. (1967) Carbonate sand bodies of Florida and the Bahamas. Jour. Sed. Petrology 37: pp. 556-591
- Fisk, H. N., 1959. Padre Island and the Laguna Madre Flats, coastal south Texas, Proc. 2d Coastal Geog. Conf., Baton Rouge, La., 103–151.
- Hoyt, J. H. (1969) Chenier versus barrier, genetic and stratigraphic distinction. Am. Assoc. Petroleum Geologists Bull. 53: pp. 299-306
- Reineck, H.-E., Singh, I. B. (1980) Depositional Sedimentary Environments. Springer-Verlag, New York
- Russell, R. J., 1968. Glossary of terms used in fluvial, deltaic, and coastal morphology and processes, Coastal Studies Inst., La. State Univ. (Baton Rouge), Tech. Rept. 63, 97p.
- Todd, T. W. (1968) Dynamic diversion: influence of longshore current-tidal interaction on chenier and barrier island plains. Jour. Sed. Petrology 38: pp. 734-746
- Beach Ridge and Beach Ridge Coasts; Chenier and Chenier Plain; Progradation and Prograding Shoreline.
- Accretion ridge
- Reference Work Title
- Beaches and Coastal Geology
- Reference Work Part
- p 2
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Encyclopedia of Earth Science
- Series ISSN
- Springer US
- Copyright Holder
- Hutchinson Ross Publishing Company
- Additional Links
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.