Isolation and Mass Spectrometry of Specific DNProteins
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A subset of the proteome that binds to specific DNA sequences is at the center of genome function, integrity, and dynamics. We present a detailed protocol that allows the isolation of any specific DNA binding protein and its subsequent identification by mass spectrometry. The procedure involves prefractionation of crude nuclear extract by phosphocellulose (P11) chromatography, followed by a series of positive/negative selections on wild-type and site-mutated ligand DNA in a magnetic microparticulate format. DNAaffinity capture requires concatamerized and biotinylated ligand, selective salt conditions, and improved competitor DNAs. The amount of protein(s) captured on DNA-magnetic beads is generally sufficient for successful MALDI-TOF and TOF/TOF MS-based protein identification. As an example, we describe the procedures used to isolate and identify four specific transcription factors from 2 ↔ 109 promyelocytic NB4 cells.
- Ausubel, F. M., Brent, R., Kingston, R. E., et al. (eds.). Large-scale preparation of bacterial genomic DNA, in Current Protocols in Molecular Biology. Wiley Interscience, New York, pp. 2.4.3.
- Dignam, J. D., Martin, P. L., Shastry, B. S., and Roeder, R. G. (1983) Eukaryotic gene transcription with purified components. Methods Enzymol. 101, 582–598. CrossRef
- Yaneva, M. and Tempst, P. (2003) Affinity capture of specific DNA-binding proteins for mass spectrometric identification. Anal. Chem. 75, 6437–6448. CrossRef
- Ma, Y., Qin, S., and Tempst, P. (1998) Differentiation-stimulated activity binds an ETS-like, essential regulatory element in the human promyelocytic defensin-1 promoter. J. Biol. Chem. 273, 8727–8740. CrossRef
- Hemat, F. and McEntee, K. (1994) A rapid and efficient PCR-based method for synthesizing high-molecular-weight multimers of oligonucleotides. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 205, 475–481. CrossRef
- West, R., Yaneva, M., and Lieber, M. (1998) Productive and nonproductive complexes of Ku and DNA-dependent protein kinase at DNA termini. Mol. Cell. Biol. 18, 5908–5920.
- Kadonaga, J. T. (1991) Purification of sequence-specific binding proteins by DNA affinity chromatography. Methods Enzymol. 208, 10–23. CrossRef
- Gadgil, H., Jurado, L. A., and Jarrett, H. W. (2001) DNA affinity chromatography of transcription factors. Anal. Biochem. 290, 147–178. CrossRef
- Ge, H. and Roeder, R. G. (1994) Purification, cloning, and characterization of a human coactivator, PC4, that mediates transcriptional activation of class II genes. Cell 78, 513–523. CrossRef
- Roeder, R. G. (1996) The role of general initiation factors in transcription by RNA polymerase II. Trends Biochem. Sci. 21, 327–335.
- Perkins, D. N., Pappin, D. J. C., Creasy, D. M., and Cottrell, J. S. (1999) Probability-based protein identification by searching sequence databases using mass spectrometry data. Electrophoresis 20, 3551–3567. CrossRef
- Isolation and Mass Spectrometry of Specific DNProteins
- Book Title
- Gene Mapping, Discovery, and Expression
- Book Subtitle
- Methods and Protocols
- pp 291-303
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Methods in Molecular Biology
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Humana Press
- Copyright Holder
- Humana Press
- Additional Links
- DNA binding
- affinity capture
- magnetic beads
- transcription factors
- mass spectrometry
- Industry Sectors
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.