Real-Time Cell Dynamics With a Multianalyte Physiometer
Purchase on Springer.com
$49.95 / €39.95 / £34.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
A technique for simultaneously measuring changes in extracellular glucose, lactate, and oxygen concentrations in conjunction with acidification rates on a Cytosensor™ Microphysiometer is described. Platinum electrodes are inserted into the standard Cytosensor plunger head and modified with enzymes and biocompatible polymeric films. The lactate and glucose oxidase enzymes catalyze the reaction of lactate and glucose. An end product of these catalyses, H2O2, is measured amperometrically. Extracellular oxygen is also measured amperometrically, while the acidification rate is measured potentiometrically by the Cytosensor. Useful information is obtained during the Cytosensor stop-flow cycles, which produce increasing or decreasing peaks, owing to the production of lactic and carbonic acid and consumption of glucose and oxygen by the cells. Fabrication of the modified sensor head and deposition of the electrode films is detailed, and the operation of the technique is described and illustrated by the simultaneous measurement of all four analytes during the addition of 20 mM fluoride to mouse fibroblast cells.
- Cliffel, D., Baudenbacher, F. J., Wikswo, J. P., Eklund, S., Balcarcel, R. R., and Gilligan, J. M. (2003) Device and methods for detecting the response of a plurality of cells to at least one analyte of interest. PCT Int. Appl., 123.
- Eklund, S. E., Cliffel, D. E., Kozlov, E., Prokop, A., Wikswo, J., and Baudenbacher, F. (2003) Modification of the Cytosensor™ Microphysiometer to simultaneously measure extracellular acidification and oxygen consumption rates. Anal. Chim. Acta 496, 93–101. CrossRef
- Wilson, G. S. (ed.). (2003) Bioelectrochemistry, in Encyclopedia of Electrochemistry, vol. 9 (Bard, A. J. and Stratmann, M., eds.), Wiley-VCH, Weinheim, pp. 309–340.
- Yang, Q., Atanasov, P., and Wilkins, E. (1998) An integrated needle-type biosensor for intravascular glucose and lactate monitoring. Electroanalysis 10, 752–757. CrossRef
- Karube, I. (1987) Micro-organism based sensors, in Biosensors: Fundamentals and Applications (Turner, A., Karube, I., and Wilson, G. S., eds.), Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK, pp. 471–480.
- Karube, I., Matsunaga, T., and Suzuki, S. (1979) Microbioassay of nystatin with a yeast electrode. Anal. Chim. Acta 109, 39–44. CrossRef
- Parce, J. W., Owicki, J. C., Kercso, K. M., Sigal, G. B., Wada, H. G., Muir, V. C., Bousse, L. J., Ross, K. L., Sikic B. I., and McConnell, H. M. (1989) Detection of cell-affecting agents with a silicon biosensor. Science 246, 243–247. CrossRef
- Owicki, J. C., Parce, J. W., Kercso, K. M., Sigal, G. B., Muir, V. C., Venter, J. C., Fraser, C. M., and McConnell, H. M. (1990) Continuous monitoring of receptormediated changes in the metabolic rates of living cells. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 87, 4007–4011. CrossRef
- Owicki, J. C., Bousse, L. J., Hafeman, D. G., Kirk, G. L., Olson, J. D., Wada, H. G., and Parce, J. W. (1994) The light-addressable potentiometric sensor: principles and biological applications. Annu. Rev. Biophys. Biomol. Struct. 23, 87–113. CrossRef
- Hafner, F. (2000) Cytosensor Microphysiometer: technology and recent applications. Biosens. Bioelectronics 15, 149–158. CrossRef
- Jonnala, R. R. and Buccafusco, J. J. (2001) Inhibition of nerve growth factor signaling by peroxynitrile. J. Neurosci. Res. 63, 27–34. CrossRef
- Tammesveski, K., Kikas, T., Tenno, T., and Niinistö, L. (1998) Preparation and characteriztion of platinum coatings for long life-time BOD biosensor. Sens. Actuators 47, 21–29. CrossRef
- Paliteiro, C., Pereira, M. L., and Jorge, A. M. (1991) Oxygen reduction on platinum electrodes coated with Nafion. Electrochim. Acta 9, 507–523.
- Sittampalam, G. and Wilson, G. S. (1982) Amperometric determination of glucose at parts per million levels with immobilized glucose oxidase. J. Chem. Ed. 59, 70–73. CrossRef
- Eklund, S., Taylor, D., Kozlov, A., Prokop, A., and Cliffel, D. (2004) A microphysiometer for simultaneous measurement of changes in extracellular glucose, lactate, oxygen, and acidification rate. Anal. Chem. 76, 516–527. CrossRef
- Real-Time Cell Dynamics With a Multianalyte Physiometer
- Book Title
- NanoBiotechnology Protocols
- pp 209-223
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Methods in Molecular Biology™
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Humana Press
- Copyright Holder
- Humana Press
- Additional Links
- Cellular physiology
- enzyme electrodes
- Industry Sectors
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. The Department of Chemistry, Vanderbilt University
- Author Affiliations
- 2. Department of Chemistry, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.