Preparation of Heterogeneous Nuclear Ribonucleoprotein Complexes
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Proper formation of different types of ribonucleoprotein (RNP)-RNA complexes is critical for the correct expression of genetic information at the posttranscriptional level. In the nucleus, RNA polymerase II transcripts bind to an abundant class of nuclear pre-mRNA/mRNA-binding proteins, the heterogeneous nuclear ribonucleoproteins (hnRNPs), to form hnRNP complexes (1,2). The molecular architecture of these complexes must be exceedingly dynamic because each step in the pre-mRNA processing pathway alters the structure of the underlying RNA substrate. Therefore, hnRNP complexes within the cell, although probably unique for each transcript, are not uniform structures, such as a ribosomal subunit or a particular small nuclear ribonucleoprotein particle (snRNP), but are composed of a heterogeneous mixture of protein-RNA structures.
- Dreyfuss, G., Matunis, M. J., Piñol-Roma, S., and Burd, C. G. (1993) HnRNP proteins and the biogenesis of mRNA. Annu. Rev. Biochem. 62, 289–321. CrossRef
- Swanson, M. S. (1995) Functions of nuclear pre-mRNA/mRNA-binding proteins. In Pre-mRNA Processing (Lamond, A. I., ed.), Springer-Verlag, New York, pp. 17–33.
- Piñol-Roma, S., Choi, Y. D., Matunis, M. J., and Dreyfuss, G. (1988) Immunopurification of heterogeneous nuclear ribonucleoprotein particles reveals an assortment of RNA-binding proteins. Genes Dev. 2, 215–227. CrossRef
- Piñol-Roma, S., Swanson, M. S., Gall, J. G., and Dreyfuss, G. (1989) A novel heterogeneous nuclear RNP protein with a unique distribution on nascent transcripts. J Cell Biol. 109, 2575–2587. CrossRef
- Matunis, M. J., Matunis, E. L., and Dreyfuss, G. (1992) Isolation of hnRNP complexes from Drosophila melanogaster. J Cell Biol. 116, 245–255. CrossRef
- Dreyfuss, G., Adam, S. A., and Choi, Y. D. (1984) Physical change in cytoplasmic messenger ribonucleoproteins in cells treated with inhibitors of mRNA transcription. Mol. Cell. Biol. 4, 415–423.
- Preparation of Heterogeneous Nuclear Ribonucleoprotein Complexes
- Book Title
- RNA-Protein Interaction Protocols
- pp 299-308
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Methods in Molecular Biology™
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Humana Press
- Copyright Holder
- Humana Press
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Susan R. Haynes (1)
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences
- Author Affiliations
- 2. Department of Molecular Genetics and Microbiology and Centers for Gene Therapy and Mammalian Genetics, University of Florida College of Medicine, Gainesville, Florida, USA
- 3. Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.