The Peroxidase-Antiperoxidase (PAP) Method and Other All-Immunologic Detection Methods
- Gary L. Bratthauer
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$49.95 / €39.95 / £34.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
These methods have, as an underlying unification, the sole use of antibody-antigen interaction to provide the binding of reagents, ultimately leading to the localization of enzyme at the site of cellular antigen. The earlier direct and indirect techniques, while still used today, were found to be less sensitive than the later-used peroxidase-antiperoxidase (PAP) techniques. The newer immune complex polymer type of detection system (Envision™ Dako Corporation, Santa Barbara, CA) increases the amplification with an indirect style of reaction while still keeping the binding entirely immunologic. These techniques have been supplanted mostly by the avidin-biotin binding schema (see Chapter 25). However, there are still times when a non-avidin-biotin system is preferred. The following procedure highlights the PAP type of reaction, the most commonly used immunologic reaction method, and additional versions— direct, indirect and polymer types of procedures—are discussed at the end of the chapter.
- Sternberger, L. (1979) Immunocytochemistry. 2nd ed. Wiley, New York.
- Cerio, R. and MacDonald, D. (1988) Routine diagnostic immunohistochemical labeling of extracellular antigens in formol saline solution—fixed, paraffinembedded cutaneous tissue.J. Am. Acad. Dermatol. 19, 747–753. CrossRef
- Boehringer Mannheim product insert for anti-digoxigenin-POD, Fab fragments. (1995) Boehringer Mannheim, Hanover, Germany.
- Dako Envision System universal kit instructions. (1994) Dako Corporation, Santa Barbara, CA.
- Clements, J. and Beitz, A. (1985) The effects of different pretreatment conditions and fixation regimes on serotonin immunoreactivity: a quantitative light microscopic study. J. Histochem. Cytochem. 33, 778–784.
- Laitinen, L., Laitinen, A., Panula, P., Partanen, M., Tervo, K., and Tervo, T.(1983) Immunohistochemical demonstration of substance P in the lower respiratory tract of the rabbit and not of man. Thorax 38, 531–536. CrossRef
- Hsu, S. and Soban, E. (1982) Color modification of diaminobenzidine (DAB) precipitation by metallic ions and its application for double immunohistochemistry. J. Histochem. Cytochem. 30, 1079.
- Ordronneau, P., Lindstrom, P., and Petrusz, P. (1981) Four unlabeled antibody bridge techniques: A comparison. J. Histochem. Cytochem. 29, 1397–1404.
- The Peroxidase-Antiperoxidase (PAP) Method and Other All-Immunologic Detection Methods
- Book Title
- Immunocytochemical Methods and Protocols
- Book Part
- pp 191-201
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Methods in Molecular Biology™
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Humana Press
- Copyright Holder
- Humana Press
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.