Cloning Sequence-Specific DNA-Binding Factors from cDNA Expression Libraries Using Oligonucleotide Binding Site Probes
- Ian G. Cowell
- … show all 1 hide
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The method described in this chapter has been used in the molecular cloning of transcription factors and other factors with DNA-binding activity toward specific double-stranded DNA sequences. The protocol is based on the method of Singh et al. (1) and shares feature with the immunological approach to screening cDNA expression libraries (see Chapter 13). The principle is to probe a cDNA expression library (usually a λ-phage expression library) with a labeled double-stranded DNA probe containing the sequence recognized by the factor in question. Recombinants expressing a protein capable of binding the probe sequence in the presence of nonspecific competitor DNA are thus identified and can be isolated.
- Singh, H., LeBowitz, J. H., Baldwin, A. S., and Sharp, P. A. (1988) Molecular cloning of an enhancer binding protein: isolation by screening of an expression library with a recognition site DNA. Cell 52, 415–423. CrossRef
- Huynh, T. V., Young, R. W., and Davis, R. W. (1988) Construction and screening of cDNA libraries in lambda gt11 and lambda gt10, in Cloning: A Practical Approach, vol. 1 (Glover, D. M., ed.), IRL, Oxford, UK, pp. 49–78.
- Maekawa, T., Sakura, H., Kanei Ishii, C., Sudo, T., Yoshimura, T., Fujisawa, J., Yoshida, M., and Ishii, S. (1989) Leucine zipper structure of the protein CRE-BP1 binding to the cyclic AMP response element in brain. EMBO J. 8, 2023–2028.
- Hai, T., Liu, F., Coukos, W. J., and Green, M. R. (1989) Transcription factor ATF cDNA clones: an extensive family of leucine zipper proteins able to selectively form DNA-binding heterodimers. Genes Dev. 3, 2083–2090. CrossRef
- Poll, V., Mancini, F. P., and Cortese, R. (1990) IL-6DBP, a nuclear protein involved in interleukin-6 signal transduction, defines a new family of leucine zipper proteins related to C/EBP. Cell 63, 643–653. CrossRef
- Cowell, I. G., Skinner, A., and Hurst, H. C. (1992) Transcriptional repression by a novel member of the bzip family of transcription factors. Mol. Cell Biol. 12, 3070–3077.
- Kageyama, R., and Pastan, I. (1989) Molecular cloning and characterisation of a human DNA binding factor that represses transcription. Cell 59, 815–825. CrossRef
- Williams, T. M., Moolten, D., Burlein, J., Romano, J., Bhaerman, R., Godillot, A., Mellon, M., Rauscher, F. J., III, and Kant, J. A. (1991) Identification of a zinc finger protein that inhibits IL-2 expression. Science 254, 1791–1793. CrossRef
- Cloning Sequence-Specific DNA-Binding Factors from cDNA Expression Libraries Using Oligonucleotide Binding Site Probes
- Book Title
- cDNA Library Protocols
- pp 161-170
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Methods in Molecular Biology™
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Humana Press
- Copyright Holder
- Humana Press
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.