Microiontophoretic Study of Individual Neurons During Intracellular Recording
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
There is an increasing tendency to combine multidisciplinary methods in studying the central nervous systems. One recently developed technique is the combination of electrophysiological and pharmacological investigations by making intracellular recording during extracellular iontophoresis of drugs to study the effects of neurotransmitters on neuronal activity and connections. In this chapter, we describe this technique in detail.
We show how:
Electrodes are made for this type of study.
Drug solutions are prepared for current iontophoresis.
A microiontophoresis current generator is used to iontophoretically inject drugs onto a neuron while performing intracellular recording.
At the end of this chapter, we provide an example from our recent studies that uses this iontophoretic technique to study effect of counter-intuitive inhibitory effect of blocking GABAA receptors in the control of post-inspiratory activity of the expiratory laryngeal motoneurons.
- Kaczynska, K, Szereda-Przestaszewska, M (2006) Clonidine-evoked respiratory effects in anaesthetized rats. Exp Physiol 91: pp. 269-275 CrossRef
- Ulger, F, Bozkurt, A, Bilge, SS, Ilkaya, F, Dilek, A, Bostanci, MO, Ciftcioglu, E, Guldogus, F (2009) The antinociceptive effects of intravenous dexmedetomidine in colorectal distension-induced visceral pain in rats: the role of opioid receptors. Anesth Analg 109: pp. 616-622 CrossRef
- Pilowsky, PM, Abbott, SB, Burke, PG, Farnham, MM, Hildreth, CM, Kumar, NN, Li, Q, Lonergan, T, McMullan, S, Spirovski, D, Goodchild, AK (2008) Metabotropic neurotransmission and integration of sympathetic nerve activity by the rostral ventrolateral medulla in the rat. Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol 35: pp. 508-511 CrossRef
- Sun, QJ, Bautista, TG, Berkowitz, RG, Zhao, WJ, Pilowsky, PM (2011) The temporal relationship between non-respiratory burst activity of expiratory laryngeal motoneurons and phrenic apnoea during stimulation of the superior laryngeal nerve in rat. J Physiol 589: pp. 1819-1830 CrossRef
- Curtis, DR, Duggan, AW, Felix, D, Johnston, GA (1971) Bicuculline, an antagonist of GABA and synaptic inhibition in the spinal cord of the cat. Brain Res 32: pp. 69-96 CrossRef
- Haji, A, Pierrefiche, O, Foutz, AS, Champagnat, J, Denavit-Saubie, M, Takeda, R (1996) Pharmacological properties of peripherally induced postsynaptic potentials in bulbar respiratory neurons of decerebrate cats. Neurosci Lett 211: pp. 17-20 CrossRef
- Berkowitz, RG, Sun, QJ, Pilowsky, PM (2005) Congenital bilateral vocal cord paralysis and the role of glycine. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 114: pp. 494-498
- Dogas, Z, Krolo, M, Stuth, EA, Tonkovic-Capin, M, Hopp, FA, McCrimmon, DR, Zuperku, EJ (1998) Differential effects of GABAA receptor antagonists in the control of respiratory neuronal discharge patterns. J Neurophysiol 80: pp. 2368-2377
- Sun, QJ, Berkowitz, RG, Pilowsky, PM (2008) GABA A mediated inhibition and post-inspiratory pattern of laryngeal constrictor motoneurons in rat. Respir Physiol Neurobiol 162: pp. 41-47 CrossRef
- Schmid, K, Bohmer, G, Gebauer, K (1991) GABAA receptor mediated fast synaptic inhibition in the rabbit brain-stem respiratory system. Acta Physiol Scand 142: pp. 411-420 CrossRef
- McCrimmon, DR, Zuperku, EJ, Hayashi, F, Dogas, Z, Hinrichsen, CF, Stuth, EA, Tonkovic-Capin, M, Krolo, M, Hopp, FA (1997) Modulation of the synaptic drive to respiratory premotor and motor neurons. Respir Physiol 110: pp. 161-176 CrossRef
- Onimaru, H, Arata, A, Homma, I (1990) Inhibitory synaptic inputs to the respiratory rhythm generator in the medulla isolated from newborn rats. Pflugers Arch 417: pp. 425-432 CrossRef
- Ramirez, JM, Telgkamp, P, Elsen, FP, Quellmalz, UJ, Richter, DW (1997) Respiratory rhythm generation in mammals: synaptic and membrane properties. Respir Physiol 110: pp. 71-85 CrossRef
- Barillot, JC, Grelot, L, Reddad, S, Bianchi, AL (1990) Discharge patterns of laryngeal motoneurones in the cat: an intracellular study. Brain Res 509: pp. 99-106 CrossRef
- Gauthier, P, Hilaire, G, Monteau, R (1983) Onset and control of expiratory laryngeal discharge: cross-correlation analysis. Respir Physiol 54: pp. 67-77 CrossRef
- Microiontophoretic Study of Individual Neurons During Intracellular Recording
- Book Title
- Stimulation and Inhibition of Neurons
- pp 141-149
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Humana Press
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media, LLC
- Additional Links
- In vivo
- Industry Sectors
- Editor Affiliations
- ID1. , Australian School of Advanced Medicine, Macquarie University
- ID2. , Australian School of Advanced Medicine, Macquarie University
- ID3. , Australian School of Advanced Medicine, Macquarie University
- Author Affiliations
- 00081. Australian School of Advanced Medicine, Macquarie University, North Ryde, NSW, Australia
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.