Detection and Quantification of Cytokines and Other Biomarkers
Purchase on Springer.com
$49.95 / €39.95 / £34.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Accurate measurement of cytokine concentrations is a powerful and essential approach to the study of inflammation. The enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA) is a simple, low-cost analytical tool that provides both the specificity and sensitivity required for the study of cytokines in vitro or in vivo. This communication describes a systematic approach to develop an indirect sandwich ELISA to detect and quantify cytokines, or other biomarkers, with accuracy and precision. Also detailed is the use of sequential ELISA assays to analyze multiple cytokines from samples with limited volumes. Finally, the concept of a multiplex ELISA is discussed with considerations given to cost and additional time required for development.
- Feghali, C.A., Wright, T.M. (1997) Cytokines in acute and chronic inflammation, Front Biosci 2, d12–26.
- Sokol, H., Pigneur, B., Watterlot, L. et al. (2008) Faecalibacterium prausnitzii is an anti-inflammatory commensal bacterium identified by gut microbiota analysis of Crohn disease patients, Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 105, 16731–16736. CrossRef
- Polpitiya, A. D., McDunn, J. E., Burykin, A. et al. (2009) Using systems biology to simplify complex disease: immune cartography, Crit Care Med 37, S16–21. CrossRef
- De Santo, C., Arscott, R., Booth, S. et al. (2010) Invariant NKT cells modulate the suppressive activity of IL-10-secreting neutrophils differentiated with serum amyloid A, Nat Immunol 11, 1039–1046. CrossRef
- DeForge, L. E., Remick, D. G. (1991) Sandwich ELISA for detection of picogram quantities of interleukin-8, Immunol Invest 20, 89–97. CrossRef
- Osuchowski, M. F., Remick, D. G. (2006) The repetitive use of samples to measure multiple cytokines: the sequential ELISA, Methods (San Diego, Calif) 38, 304–311.
- Findlay, J.W.A., Dillard, R. F. (2007) Appropriate calibration curve fitting in ligand binding assays, AAPS Journal 9, 2 E260-E267. doi: 10.1208/aapsj0902029. CrossRef
- Morgan, E., Varro, R., Sepulveda, H. et al. (2004) Cytometric bead array: a multiplexed assay platform with applications in various areas of biology, Clin Immunol 110, 252–266. CrossRef
- Nemzek, J. A., Siddiqui, J., Remick, D. G. (2001) Development and optimization of cytokine ELISAs using commercial antibody pairs, J Immunol Methods 255, 149–157. CrossRef
- Natarajan, S., Remick, D.G. (2008) The ELISA Standard Save: Calculation of sample concentrations in assays with a failed standard curve, J Immunol Methods 336, 242–245. CrossRef
- Crowther, J. R. (2000) The ELISA guidebook, Methods in molecular biology (Clifton, NJ) 149, III-IV, 1–413.
- Detection and Quantification of Cytokines and Other Biomarkers
- Book Title
- Book Subtitle
- Methods and Protocols
- pp 15-30
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Methods in Molecular Biology
- Series Volume
- Series Subtitle
- Methods and Protocols
- Series ISSN
- Humana Press
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media, LLC
- Additional Links
- Sandwich ELISA
- Sequential ELISA
- Multiplex ELISA
- Industry Sectors
- Robert B. Ashman (ID1)
- Editor Affiliations
- ID1. School of Dentistry, University of Queensland
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Boston University School of Medicine and Boston Medical Center, Boston, MA, USA
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.