Elimination of Mycoplasmas from Infected Cell Lines Using Antibiotics
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Mycoplasma contamination may have multiple effects on cultured cell lines and this can also have a significant influence on the results of scientific studies, and certainly on the quality of cell culture products used in medicine and pharmacology. The elimination of mycoplasma contamination from cell cultures is an inevitable need when contaminated cell lines cannot be replaced by mycoplasma-free cell lines. The eradication of mycoplasmas with specific antibiotics has been shown to be one of the most efficient methods to permanently cleanse the cell culture. The effective antibiotics belong to the classes of fluoroquinolones, macrolides, and tetracyclines. The protocols describe the single use of diverse fluoroqinolones as well as combination therapies with antibiotics from different antibiotic classes or of antibiotics and antimicrobial peptides. Special emphasis has been placed to assure eradication of mycoplasma without the development of resistant mycoplasma strains and to treat heavily infected and damaged cultures as well as cultures which are sensitive to specific antibiotics. Experience has shown that no detectable alterations are found to affect eukaryotic cells during the course of the treatment. Antibiotic treatment of mycoplasma infected cultures appears to be the most practical, robust, and efficient approach.
- Barile, M. F. and Rottem, S. (1993) Mycoplasmas in cell culture. In: Rapid Diagnosis of Mycoplasmas (Kahane I, Adoni A, eds), Plenum Press, New York, 155–93. CrossRef
- Drexler, H. G. and Uphoff, C. C. (2002) Mycoplasma contamination of cell cultures: Incidence, sources, effects, detection, elimination, prevention Cytotechnol 39, 23–38.
- Uphoff, C. C. and Drexler, H.G. (2001) Prevention of mycoplasma contamination in leukemia-lymphoma cell lines. Human Cell 14, 244–7.
- Uphoff, C. C., Meyer, C., and Drexler, H. G. (2002) Elimination of mycoplasma from leukemia-lymphoma cell lines using antibiotics. Leukemia 16, 284–8. CrossRef
- Fehri, L. F., Wróblewski, H., and Blanchard, A. (2007) Activities of antimicrobial peptides and synergy with enrofloxacin against Mycoplasma pulmonis. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 51, 468–74. CrossRef
- Elimination of Mycoplasmas from Infected Cell Lines Using Antibiotics
- Book Title
- Cancer Cell Culture
- Book Subtitle
- Methods and Protocols
- pp 105-114
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Methods in Molecular Biology
- Series Volume
- Series Subtitle
- Methods and Protocols
- Series ISSN
- Humana Press
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media, LLC
- Additional Links
- Cell culture
- Cell lines
- Industry Sectors
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.