Primary Dissociated Astrocyte and Neuron Co-culture
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We describe a method to isolate and co-culture dissociated hippocampal neurons and cortical astrocytes from young mice (E17 and newborn, respectively). This protocol is useful to investigate the effects of astrocytes on the developmental biology of neurons. By independently isolating the astrocytes and neurons (with different genetic backgrounds) from different mice, an in vitro environment can be created where one cell type is deficient in a gene or protein of interest. For example, this method is well suited to examine the effect of a genetic mutation in astrocytes on the development of neuronal processes and synapses.
- Bartlett WP, Banker GA An electron microscopic study of the development of axons and dendrites by hippocampal neurons in culture II. Synaptic relationships J Neurosci 1984;4:1954–1965.
- Bi G, Poo M Synaptic modifications in cultured hippocampal neurons: dependences on spike timing, synaptic strength and post-synaptic cell type. J Neurosci 1998;18:10464–10472.
- Yang Y, Ge W, Chen Y et al. Contribution of astrocytes to hippocampal long term potentiation through release of D-serine. Proc Natl Acad Sci (USA) 2003;11:15194–15195.
- Kaech S, Banker G Culturing hippocampal neurons. Nat Protocols 2006;1:2406–2415. CrossRef
- Yoshida M, Saito H, Katsuki H Neurotrophic effects of conditioned media of astrocytes isolated from different brain regions on hippocampal and cortical neurons. Cell Mol Life Sci 1995;51:133–136. CrossRef
- Martin DP, Wallace TL, Johnson EM Jr. Cytosine arabinoside kills postmitotic neurons in a fashion resembling trophic factor deprivation: evidence that a deoxycytidine-dependent process may be required for nerve growth factor signal transduction. J Neurosci 1990;10:184–193.
- Dessi F, Pollard H, Moreau J et al. Cytosine arabinoside induces apoptosis in cerebellar neurons in culture. J Neurochem 1995;64: 1980–1987.
- Chang JY, Brown S Cytosine arabinoside differentially alters survival and neurite outgrowth of neuronal PC12 cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1996;218:753–758. CrossRef
- Saura J. Microglial cells in astroglial cultures: a cautionary note. J Neuroinflammation 2007;4:26. CrossRef
- Primary Dissociated Astrocyte and Neuron Co-culture
- Book Title
- Protocols for Neural Cell Culture
- Book Subtitle
- Fourth Edition
- pp 269-283
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Springer Protocols Handbooks
- Series ISSN
- Humana Press
- Copyright Holder
- Humana Press
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.