A Novel Approach Using MALDI-TOF/TOF Mass Spectrometry and Prestructured Sample Supports (AnchorChip Technology) for Proteomic Profiling and Protein Identification
- Sau-Mei LeungAffiliated withClinical Proteomics, Bruker Daltonics, Inc.
- , Rebecca L. PittsAffiliated withClinical Proteomics, Bruker Daltonics, Inc.
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Mass spectrometry (MS)-based proteomic profiling and protein identification has become a powerful tool for the discovery of new disease biomarkers. Among the MS platforms, matrix-assisted laser desorption/ionization time-of-flight/time-of-flight (MALDI-TOF/TOF) MS offers high sample throughput and the flexibility to couple with different off-line sample fractionation techniques. Here, we present a strategy using MALDI-TOF/TOF MS to analyze fractionated human serum samples for proteomic profiling and then identify serum peptides from these proteomic profiles. We achieve the profiling analyses by using different functionalized magnetic beads to enrich specific subsets of serum proteins/peptides based on their absorption to these beads. This step is followed by elution, transfer onto prestructured sample supports (AnchorChip™ targets), and analysis in a MALDI-TOF/TOF mass spectrometer. Selected serum peptides are then analyzed in the tandem MS (TOF/TOF) mode to generate fragment ions for determination of their amino acid sequences. We have demonstrated that using this approach, proteomic profiling and protein identification can be done in a single MS instrument.
Key WordsMALDI TOF/TOF profiling biomarkers AnchorChip tandem MS magnetic beads clinical proteomics serum
- A Novel Approach Using MALDI-TOF/TOF Mass Spectrometry and Prestructured Sample Supports (AnchorChip Technology) for Proteomic Profiling and Protein Identification
- Book Title
- Tissue Proteomics
- pp 57-70
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Methods in Molecular Biology™
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Humana Press
- Copyright Holder
- Humana Press, a part of Springer Science+Business Media, LLC
- Additional Links
- tandem MS
- magnetic beads
- clinical proteomics
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 2. Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Harvard Medical School
- 3. Rhode Island Sea Grant College Program, Brigham and Women’s Hospital
- Author Affiliations
- 4. Clinical Proteomics, Bruker Daltonics, Inc., Billerica, MA
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.