Methodologies for Staining and Visualisation of β-Galactosidase in Mouse Embryos and Tissues
Purchase on Springer.com
$49.95 / €39.95 / £34.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
This chapter provides information on β-galactosidase staining of whole mouse embryos, organs, tissue sections, and cultured cells, as well as double staining with horseradish peroxidase and use as a tool for genotyping. Using these protocols, localization of β-galactosidase can be visualized throughout development and in adult tissues. β-Galactosidase staining may be used purely as a marker of gene expression and also as a tracer in cell lineage studies.
- Beckwith, J.R. (2005) Lac: The genetic system, in The Operon (Miller, J. H. and Reznikoff, W. S., eds.), Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, Cold Spring Harbor, NY.
- Loughna, S., Bennett, P., Gau, G., Nicolaides, K., Blunt, S., and Moore, G. (1993) Overexpression of esterase D in kidney from trisomy 13 fetuses. Am. J. Hum. Genet. 53, 810–816.
- Horwitz, J. P., Chua, J., Curby, R. J., et al. (1964) Substrates for cytochemical demonstration of enzyme activity. I. Some substituted 3-indolyl-beta-D-glycopyranosides. J. Med. Chem. 53, 574–575. CrossRef
- Davies, J. and Jacob, F. (1968) Genetic mapping of the regulator and operator genes of the lac operon. J. Mol. Biol. 36, 413–417. CrossRef
- Cotson, S. and Holt, S. J. (1958) Studies in enzyme cytochemistry. IV. Kinetics of aerial oxidation of indoxyl and some of its halogen derivatives. Proc. R. Soc. Lond B Biol. Sci. 148, 506–519. CrossRef
- Lojda, Z. (1970) Indigogenic methods for glycosidases. I. An improved method for beta-D-glucosidase and its application to localization studies on intestinal and renal enzymes. Histochemie 22, 347–361. CrossRef
- Soriano, P. (1999) Generalized lacZ expression with the ROSA26 Cre reporter strain. Nat. Genet. 21, 70–71. CrossRef
- Danielian, P. S., Muccino, D., Rowitch, D. H., Michael, S. K., and McMahon, A. P. (1998) Modification of gene activity in mouse embryos in utero by a tamoxifeninducible form of Cre recombinase. Curr. Biol. 8, 1323–1326. CrossRef
- Jiang, X., Rowitch, D. H., Soriano, P., McMahon, A. P., and Sucov, H. M. (2000) Fate of the mammalian cardiac neural crest. Development 127, 1607–1616.
- Vaysse, P. J. and Goldman, J. E. (1990) A clonal analysis of glial lineages in neonatal forebrain development in vitro. Neuron 5, 227–235. CrossRef
- Bonnerot, C., Rocancourt, D., Briand, P., Grimber, G., and Nicolas, J. F. (1987) A beta-galactosidase hybrid protein targeted to nuclei as a marker for developmental studies. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 84, 6795–6799. CrossRef
- Rosenberg, W. S., Breakefield, X. O., deAntonio, C., and Isacson, O. (1992) Authentic and artifactual detection of the E. coli lacZ gene product in the rat brain by histochemical methods. Brain Res. Mol. Brain Res. 16, 311–315. CrossRef
- Methodologies for Staining and Visualisation of β-Galactosidase in Mouse Embryos and Tissues
- Book Title
- Reporter Genes
- Book Subtitle
- A Practical Guide
- pp 1-11
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Methods in Molecular Biology
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Humana Press
- Copyright Holder
- Humana Press Inc.
- Additional Links
- cultured cells
- Industry Sectors
- Donald S. Anson (1)
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. Department of Genetic Medicine, Women’s and Children’s Hospital
- Author Affiliations
- 2. School of Biomedical Sciences, University of Nottingham, UK
- 3. Institute of Human Genetics, University of Newcastle Upon Tyne, UK
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.