Assessing the Antiviral Activity of HIV-1-Specific Cytotoxic T Lymphocytes
- Otto O. Yang
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$49.95 / €39.95 / £34.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Currently available assays for detecting HIV-1-specific cytotoxic T lymphocytes (CTL) are remarkable for their technical ease, sensitivity, and precision of measurement. However, it is becoming increasingly apparent that CTL responses vary in their antiviral activity at the clonal level. These assays do not reveal the antiviral efficacies of the CTL they detect. Thus, an experimental approach that has been developed for this purpose has been the coculture of CTL with HIV-1-infected cells, to measure the impact of the CTL on viral replication. Data from such experiments can be useful to elucidate the contribution of viral and CTL factors to the antiviral efficiency of CTL.
- Yang, O. O. (2003) Will we be able to ‘spot’ an effective HIV-1 vaccine? Trends Immunol 24, 67–72. CrossRef
- Addo, M. M., Yu, X. G., Rathod, A., et al. (2003) Comprehensive epitope analysis of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 (HIV-1)-specific T-cell responses directed against the entire expressed HIV-1 genome demonstrate broadly directed responses, but no correlation to viral load. J Virol 77, 2081–2092. CrossRef
- Betts, M. R., Ambrozak, D. R., Douek, D. C., et al. (2001) Analysis of total human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)-specific CD4(+) and CD8(+) T-cell responses: relationship to viral load in untreated HIV infection. J Virol 75, 11983–11991. CrossRef
- Ahearne, P. M., Morgan, R. A., Sebastian, M. W., et al. (1995) Multiple CTL specificities against autologous HIV-1-infected BLCLs. Cell Immunol 161, 34–41. CrossRef
- Buseyne, F., Fevrier, M., Garcia, S., et al. (1996) Dual function of a human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)-specific cytotoxic T-lymphocyte clone: inhibition of HIV replication by noncytolytic mechanisms and lysis of HIV-infected CD4+ cells. Virology 225, 248–253. CrossRef
- McElrath, M. J., Rabin, M., Hoffman, M., et al. (1994) Evaluation of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 (HIV-1)-specific cytotoxic T-lymphocyte responses utilizing B-lymphoblastoid cell lines transduced with the CD4 gene and infected with HIV-1. J Virol 68, 5074–5083.
- Shankar, P., Sprang, H., Lieberman, J. (1998) Effective lysis of HIV-1-infected primary CD4+ T cells by a cytotoxic T-lymphocyte clone directed against a novel A2-restricted reverse-transcriptase epitope. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr Hum Retrovirol 19,111–120.
- Tomiyama, H., Akari, H., Adachi, A., et al. (2002) Different effects of Nef-mediated HLA class I down-regulation on human immunodeficiency virus type 1-specific CD8(+) T-cell cytolytic activity and cytokine production. J Virol 76, 7535–7543. CrossRef
- Yang, O. O., Kalams, S. A., Rosenzweig, M., et al. (1996) Efficient lysis of human immunodeficiency virus type 1-infected cells by cytotoxic T lymphocytes. J Virol 70, 5799–5806.
- Yang, O. O., Kalams, S. A., Trocha, A., et al. (1997) Suppression of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 replication by CD8+ cells: evidence for HLA class I-restricted triggering of cytolytic and noncytolytic mechanisms. J Virol 71, 3120–3128.
- Salter, R. D., Howell, D. N., Cresswell, P. (1985) Genes regulating HLA class I antigen expression in T-B lymphoblast hybrids. Immunogenetics 21, 235–246. CrossRef
- Popovic, M., Sarngadharan, M. G., Read, E., et al. (1984) Detection, isolation, and continuous production of cytopathic retroviruses (HTLV-III) from patients with AIDS and pre-AIDS. Science. 224, 497–500. CrossRef
- Weiss, A., Wiskocil, R. L., Stobo, J. D. (1984) The role of T3 surface molecules in the activation of human T cells: a two-stimulus requirement for IL 2 production reflects events occurring at a pre-translational level. J Immunol 133, 123–128.
- Salahuddin, S. Z., Markham, P. D., Wong-Staal, F., et al. (1983) Restricted expression of human T-cell leukemia–lymphoma virus (HTLV) in transformed human umbilical cord blood lymphocytes. Virology 129, 51–64. CrossRef
- Foley, G. E., Lazarus, H., Farber, S., et al. (1965) Continuous Culture of Human Lymphoblasts from Peripheral Blood of a Child with Acute Leukemia. Cancer 18, 522–529. CrossRef
- Rozmyslowicz, T., Kijowski, J., Conover, D. O., et al. (2001) New T-lymphocytic cell lines for studying cell infectability by human immunodeficiency virus. Eur J Haematol 67, 142–151. CrossRef
- Yang, O. O., Nguyen, P. T., Kalams, S. A., et al. (2002) Nef-mediated resistance of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 to antiviral cytotoxic T lymphocytes. J Virol 76, 1626–1631. CrossRef
- Severino, M. E., Sipsas, N. V., Nguyen, P. T., et al. (2000) Inhibition of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 replication in primary CD4(+) T lymphocytes, monocytes, and dendritic cells by cytotoxic T lymphocytes. J Virol 74, 6695–6699. CrossRef
- Assessing the Antiviral Activity of HIV-1-Specific Cytotoxic T Lymphocytes
- Book Title
- HIV Protocols
- Book Part
- Section IV
- pp 407-415
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Methods In Molecular Biology™
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Humana Press
- Copyright Holder
- Humana Press
- Additional Links
- cytotoxic T lymphocytes
- CD8+ T cells
- antiviral activity
- Industry Sectors
- Editor Affiliations
- 2. Albert Einstein College of Medicine
- Otto O. Yang (3)
- Author Affiliations
- 3. Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Medicine Department of Microbiology, Immunology, and Molecular Genetics and AIDS, Institute, Geffen School of Medicine, UCLA Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA, USA
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.