In Search of the Super-Rich: Who Are They? Where Are They?
- Ray ForrestAffiliated withDepartment of Public Policy, City University of Hong Kong
- , Sin Yee KohAffiliated withInstitute of Asian Studies, Universiti Brunei Darussalam
- , Bart WissinkAffiliated withDepartment of Public Policy, City University of Hong Kong
Cities, and particularly the leading world cities, are the sites where extreme inequalities find their most visible contemporary expression. They are, it seems, both the playgrounds and projects of a new overclass of super-rich. This introductory chapter sets out some of the conceptual key issues around these assumptions as a precursor to the more detailed discussions which follow. The chapter focuses on three questions: How do we construct this category of “super-rich”? Where do we find them? Where do cities and urban development fit into the picture? The final section of the chapter provides a brief guide to the structure and logic of the book.
- In Search of the Super-Rich: Who Are They? Where Are They?
- Book Title
- Cities and the Super-Rich
- Book Subtitle
- Real Estate, Elite Practices and Urban Political Economies
- pp 1-18
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- The Contemporary City
- Palgrave Macmillan US
- Copyright Holder
- The Author(s)
- Additional Links
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 3. City University of Hong Kong
- 4. Institute of Asian Studies, University Brunei Darussalam
- 5. City University of Hong Kong
- Author Affiliations
- 6. Department of Public Policy, City University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, Hong Kong SAR
- 7. Institute of Asian Studies, Universiti Brunei Darussalam, Gadong, Brunei Darussalam
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.