A 3-Dimensional Numerical Simulation of Flow Over a Broad-Crested Side Weir
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
One of the applications of side weirs is predicting the accurate flow measurement in irrigation and floodwater spreading systems. However, the hydraulic behavior of this type of weir is complex and difficult to predict accurately. In this study, the flow over a broad-crested side weir is numerically investigated based on experimental data under subcritical condition. The numerical model considers flow over side weir using Reynolds’s average Navier–Stokes (RANS) equations. The renormalization-group (RNG) k-ε model was used to account for turbulence modeling and the volume of fluid (VOF) scheme was also used in the model to find free surface of flow. The simulation results were validated by experimental data. The simulation results provided detailed analysis of flow pattern, pressure distributions in longitudinal and transverse sections over the side weir. This study shows that existing numerical models using RANS are useful in design of side weirs.
- Bos, M.G. (1989). Discharge measurement structure. Pub. Water Resources Pubns.
- Tan, H., Wang, L., & Gilbreth, K. (2001). Design of Side Weirs in Subcritical Flow. Urban Drainage Modeling, 438−449. Doi: 10.1061/40583(275)42
- Bromwich, B.C., Rickard, C.E., Gasowski, Y., & May, P.W.R. (2003). Hydraulic design of side weirs. Pub. Thomas Telford Publishing.
- Yeoh, G.H. & Tu, J. (2010). Computational techniques for multi-phase flows. Elsevier Ltd., U.S.A, pp. 407–500.
- Szymkiewicz, R. (2010). Numerical modeling in open channel hydraulic (pp. 263–300). Poland: Springer.
- Flow Science, Inc. (2000). Flow-3D user’s manual.
- Chow, V. T. (1959). Open channel hydraulics. New York: McGraw-Hill.
- Subramanya, K. (1986). Flow in open channels. Tata McGraw-Hill Education.
- Kim, Dae-Geun. (2007). Numerical analysis of free flow past a sluice gate. Journal of Civil Engineering KSCE, 11(2), 127–132. CrossRef
- Yakhot, V., & Orszag, S. A. (1986). Renormalization-group analysis of turbulence. Journal of Applied and Computational Mathematics, 57(141), 1722–1724.
- Daraghi, B. (2010). Flow Characteristics of bottom outlets with moving gates. Journal of Hydraulic Research, 48(4), 476–482. CrossRef
- Sarfaraz, M., & Attari, J. (2011). On numerical simulation of uniform flow region over a steeply sloping stepped spillway. 6th National Congress on Civil Engineering, Semnan University, Semnan, Iran, April 26–27, 2011.
- A 3-Dimensional Numerical Simulation of Flow Over a Broad-Crested Side Weir
- Book Title
- Advances in Hydroinformatics
- Book Subtitle
- SIMHYDRO 2012 – New Frontiers of Simulation
- Book Part
- Part III
- pp 511-523
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Springer Hydrogeology
- Springer Singapore
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media Singapore
- Additional Links
- Side weir
- 3D Simulation
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. University of Nice-Sophia Antipolis
- 3. Society Hydrotechnique of France
- Author Affiliations
- 4. Hydraulic Structures from Khaje Nasir Toosi University of Technology, Tehran—Karaj Special Road Km 10—St. Ashry martyr, 113613445, Tehran, Iran
- 5. Hydraulic Engineering, Soil Conservation and Watershed Management Research Institute, Tehran, Iran
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.