The Response of Slender Structures to Wind
- A. G. Davenport
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
This paper describes how to estimate the response of slender structures such as chimneys, guyed towers or pipeline suspension bridges to wind. Included are the mean response, the alongwind and acrosswind responses to turbulence and the response to vortex shedding forces. An important aspect of the analysis is the use of influence lines. Both background and resonant responses are considered. The treatment of vortex shedding incorporates both random forcing and aerodynamic damping uses ideas proposed by Vickery. A worked example and an appendix on wind properties are provided.
- Basu, R., “Across-Wind Response of Slender Structures of Circular Cross-Section to Atmospheric Turbulence”, Ph.D. Thesis, The University of Western Ontario, Faculty of Engineering Science, London, Canada, 1982.
- Christensen, O., and Askegaard, V., “Wind Forces on and Excitation of a 130m Concrete Chimney”, Journal of Ind. Aero. Vol. 3, 1978.
- Davenport, A.G., “The Influence of Turbulence on the Aeroelastic Responses of Tall Structures to Wind”, in IAHR/IUTAM Symposium Karlsruhe 1979 on “Practical Experiences with Flow-Induced Vibrations”, Springer Verag, ed Naudascher and Rockwell.
- Hansen, S.O, S.O., “Crosswind Vibrations of a 130m Tapered Chimney”, 4th Coll. on Ind. Aero., Aachen, June 1980.
- Plate, E.J., “Engineering Meteorology”, Amsterdam, Elsevier, 1982, pp. 527–572.
- Ruscheweyh, H and Hirsch, G. “Full Scale Measurements on Tower Shaped Structures”, Proc. 4th Int. Conf. on Wind effects on Buildings and Structures, Heathrow, 1975.
- Scruton, C., “On the Wind Excited Oscillations of Stacks, Towers and Masts”, Int. Conf. on Wind Effects on Buildings and Str., N.P.L. Teddington, 1963.
- Van Koten, H., “Vortex Excitation of Slender Structures”, Proc. of Conf. on Tower-Shaped Structures, The Hague, 1969, hit. Assn. Shell Structures.
- Vickery, B.J., “A Model for the Prediction of the Response of Chimneys”, Proc. 3rd Int. Symp. for Design of Industrial Chimneys, 157–162, Munich.
- Vickery, B.J. and Basu, R., “Across-Wind Vibrations of Structures of Circular Cross-Section ” Journal of Wind Engineering, 1983
- Vickery, B.J. and Davenport, A.G., “The Response of Wind Load of a 1200’ Reinforced Concrete Chimney”, The University of Western Ontario (Canada), Faculty of engineering Science Research Report, BLWTL-4–1968.
- The Response of Slender Structures to Wind
- Book Title
- Wind Climate in Cities
- Book Part
- Section II
- pp 209-239
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- NATO ASI Series
- Series Volume
- Series Subtitle
- Series E: Applied Sciences
- Series ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media B.V.
- Additional Links
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. Department of Civil Engineering, Colorado State University
- 2. Faculty of Engineering Science, University of Western Ontario
- 3. Fakultät für Bauingenieur- und Vermessungswesen, Universität Karlsruhe
- 4. Fluid Mechanics Center, University of Coimbra
- A. G. Davenport (5)
- Author Affiliations
- 5. The Boundary Layer Wind Tunnel Laboratory, The University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, N6A 5B9, Canada
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.