Genetic Analysis of Field Resistance to Leaf Blast in Rice
- T. Higashi
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Resistance to rice blast can be classified into true resistance (qualitative resistance) and field resistance (quantitative resistance). True resistance is unstable and controlled by major genes that react specifically to different races of blast fungus. The breakdown of true resistance has often occurred and shocked rice breeders. On the other hand, field resistance is a quantitative difference between varieties in a field where true resistance is ineffective. A variety with high field resistance shows a slow disease progress even if it is infected by blast and susceptible lesions are formed. Field resistance is usually stable to changes in pathogenicity of blast fungus. The breakdown of field resistance had not been observed in actual rice cultivation and rice breeders are trying to improve field resistance of varieties in Japan.
- Abe, S., Kiyosawa, S. and Ono, S. (1974) Inheritance of blast resistance of upland rice varieties. 1. Inheritance of an upland Norin-mochi 4 (in Japanese), Bulletin of Ibaraki Agricultural Experiment Station 15, 47–64.
- Abe, S., Suga, T. and Ono, S. (1976) Inheritance of blast resistance of upland rice varieties. 2. Inheritance of an upland variety Norin-mochi 26 (in Japanese), Bulletin of the Ibaraki Agricultural Experiment Station 17, 67–76.
- Asaga, K. (1976) Investigation standard of leaf blast in blast nursery (in Japanese), Nogyogijyutu Journal of Advanced Agriculture Science 31, 156–159.
- Asaga, K. (1981) A procedure for evaluating field resistance to blast in rice varieties (in Japanese, English summary), Journal of the Central Agricultural Experiment Station 35, 51–138.
- Fukuoka, S., Schlater, A. R., Nakayama, H., Okuno, K., Kawase, M., Miura, K., Ohta, H., Kiyosawa, S. and Furutani, T. (1994) Genetic analysis for rice blast field resistance using RFLP markers (in Japanese), Japan Journal of Breeding 44 (Suppl.1), 233.
- Goto, I. (1970) Genetic studies on the resistance of rice plant to the blast fungus. 1. Inheritance of resistance in crosses Sensho X H-79 and Imochi-shirzau X H-79, Annals of the Phytopathological Society of Japan 36, 304–312. CrossRef
- Goto, I. and Buluch, A. A. (1983) Genetic studies on resistance of rice plant to blast fungus. VI. Additive effect of blast resistance genes of Sensho under natural infection (in Japanese, English summary), Bulletin of the Yamagata University, Agricultural Science 9, 273–283.
- Hayman, B. I. (1954) The analysis of variance of diallel crosses, Biometrics 10, 235–244. CrossRef
- Higashi, T. and Kushibuchi, K. (1978) Genetic analysis of field resistance to leaf blast (Pyricularia oryzae) in rice (in Japanese, English summary), Japan Journal of Breeding 28, 277–286.
- Higashi, T. and Saito, S. (1985) Linkage groups of field resistance genes of upland rice variety Sensho to leaf blast caused by Pyricularia oryzae Cay. (in Japanese, English summary), Japan Journal of Breeding 35, 438–448.
- Higashi, T. (1995) Genetic studies on field resistance of rice to blast disease (in Japanese, English summary), Bulletin of the Tohoku National Agriculture Experimental Station 90, 19–75.
- Inoue, M., Saito, S. and Ikeda, R. (1987) Genetic analysis of field resistance of Etsunan 108 to rice blast (in Japanese), Japan Journal of Breeding 37 (Suppl. 1), 300–301.
- Jinks, J. L. and Towey, P. (1976) Estimating the number of genes in a polygenic system by genotype assay, Heredity 37, 69–81. CrossRef
- Jones, R. M. (1965) Analysis of variance of the half diallel table, Heredity 20, 117–121. CrossRef
- Kikuchi, F., Yokoo, M. and Niitsuma, Y. (1976) Inheritance of blast resistance and its relationship with other characters in a cross between lowland-and upland-rice (in Japanese), Japan Journal of Breeding 26 (Suppl.2), 205–206.
- Kinoshita, T. (1993) Report of the committee on gene symbolization, nomenclature and linkage groups, Rice Genetics Newsletter 10, 7–39.
- Kinoshita, T., Futsuhara, Y., Khush, G. S., Iwata, N., Oka, H. I., Takeda, K., Wu, H. K., Yano, M. and Yoshimura, A. (1991) Report of the meeting to discuss the chromosome numbering system in rice, 15 May 1990. Rice Genetics II, IRRI p. 816–818.
- Kiyosawa, S. (1970) Inheritance of blast resistance of the two rice varieties Homare Nishiki and Ginga. 1. Resistance of Homare Nishiki and Ginga to the fungus strain Ken 54–04, Bulletin of the National Institute of Agricultural Science D21, 73–105.
- Maruyama, K., Kikuchi, F. and Yokoo, M. (1983) Gene analysis of field resistance to rice blast (Pyricularia oryzae) in Rikuto Norin Mochi 4 and its use for breeding (in Japanese, English summary), Bulletin of the National Institute of Agricultural Science D35, 1–31.
- Mather, K. (1949) Biometrical Genetics, Methuen, London p. 102–125.
- Mather, K. and Jinks, J. L. (1971) Biometrical Genetics, 2“d Edition, Chapman and Hall, London p. 249–284.
- Mikami T, Kawamura Y, Horisue N (1990). Estimation of resistance genes and field resistance to leaf blast of a rice cultivar “Fukei 138” (in Japanese), Report of the Tohoku Branch, Crop Science Society of Japan 33, 87–88.
- Roumen, E. C. (1994) The inheritance of host plant resistance and its effect on the relative infection efficiency of Magnaporte grisea in rice cultivars, Theoretical and Applied Genetics 89, 498–503. CrossRef
- Shinoda, H., Toriyama, K., Yunoki, T., Ezuka, A. and Sakurai, Y. (1971) Studies on the varietal resistance of rice to blast. 6. Linkage relationship of blast resistance genes (in Japanese, English summary), Bulletin of the Chugoku National Agriculture Experimental Station A20, 1–25.
- Toriyama, K., Yunoki, T. and Shinoda, H. (1968) Breeding rice varieties for resistance to blast. II. Inheritance of high field resistance of Chuugoku No.31 (in Japanese), Japan Journal of Breeding 18 (Suppl.l), 145–146.
- Wang, G., Mackill, D. J., Bonman, J. M., McCouch, S. R., Champoux, M. C. and Nelson, R. J. (1994) RFLP mapping of genes conferring complete and partial resistance to blast in a durably resistant rice cultivar, Genetics 136, 1421–1434.
- Wang, Z., Mackill, D. J. and Bonman, J. M. (1989) Inheritance of partial resistance to blast in indica rice cultivars, Crop Science 29, 848–853. CrossRef
- Yokoo, M., Kikuchi, F. and Kawai, M. (1974) Preliminary test for blast resistance in a cross “Koshihikari x Glutinous Upland Norin 4” of rice (in Japanese), Japan Journal of Breeding 24, 146–147.
- Genetic Analysis of Field Resistance to Leaf Blast in Rice
- Book Title
- Major Fungal Diseases of Rice
- Book Subtitle
- Recent Advances
- pp 163-180
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer Netherlands
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media B.V.
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- T. Higashi (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Lowland Farming, Tohoku National Agricultural Experiment Station, Yotsuya, Omagari, Akita, 014-01, Japan
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.