The word carbohydrate was originally derived from the fact that the greater part of the compounds in this class had the empirical formula C n (H2O) n . The values of n ranged from three to many thousands. This formula is now considered too restrictive, and a more useful definition might be “polyhydroxy aldehydes or ketones and their derivatives.” This latter definition encompasses deoxy sugars, sugar alcohols, sugar acids, and amino sugars.
- Book Title
- Food Composition and Analysis
- pp 100-177
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer Netherlands
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media B.V.
- Additional Links
- eBook Packages
- Author Affiliations
- 4. Department of Food Science, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
- 5. Department of Chemistry, Middle Tennessee State University, Murfreesboro, TN, USA
- 6. Department of Biology, Middle Tennessee State University, Murfreesboro, TN, USA
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.