Effects of Belladonna 12 CH and 30 CH in Healthy Volunteers
The practice of homoeopathy lies on two principles: the law of similars and the potentization of homoeopathic remedies. The law of similars states that likes be cured by likes: “Similia similibus curentur” (Walach, 1986). This means for example that certain types of feavers which exhibit symptoms like an intoxication with deadly nightshade can be cured by the homoeopathic preparation Belladonna, which is prepared from this very same plant. While this principle has been known for a long time, it was the German doctor and pharmacist Samuel Hahnemann who made practical use of it, by giving drug substances to volunteers, noting down the symptoms they experienced, and using the very same symptoms as indication of this remedy in the case of a disease. His volunteers experienced sometimes quite toxic reactions. Therefore, Hahnemann diluted the remedial substances stepwise, by adding 99 drops of alcohol to one drop of substance and vigourously shaking it. This procedure he called “potentization” or “dynamisation”. For every dilution process he used a new glass vial. He experimented with very high dilutions not knowing that he had way beyond transgressed Avogadro’s number which states that 6.0231023 molecules are contained in one mole of any solution. By virtue of the homoeopathic potentization procedure, no molecules are to be expected in preparations beyond and above 12 CH or 24 XH, 12 stepwise agitated dilutions in the ratio 1:100, or 24 stepwise, agitated dilutions in the ratio 1:10. Hahnemann however, not knowing about Avogadro’s number, very frequently used potentizations as high as 30 CH or higher, and in the 6th edition of his Organon (Hahnemann 1979) he even prescribed 30 CH as a standard potency for curative and experimental procedures alike.
- Edgington, E. (1987) Randomization Tests. Dekker Publisher, New York.
- Ernst-Hieber, E. and Hieber, S. (1995) Wirkt eine hom ö opathische Hochpotenz anders als ein Placebo?. Randomisierte, doppelblinde multiple Einzelfallstudie. Hippokrates Publisher, Stuttgart.
- Fahrenberg, J. (1994) Die Freiburger Beschwerdeliste FBL. Form FBL-G und revidierte Form FBL-R. Hogrefe Publisher, Göttingen
- Fahrenberg, J., Hampel, R. and Selg, H. (1989) Das Freiburger Pers ö nlichkeitsinventar FPL Revidierte Fassung FPI-R und teilweise geänderte Fassung FPI-A. Hofgrefe Publisher, Göttingen. fifth Ed.
- Hahnemann, S. (1979) Organon der Heilkunst, sixth Ed.,. R. Haehl (ed.), Reprint — Hippokrates Publisher, Stuttgart.
- Walach, H. (1986) Hom ö opathie als Basistherapie. Plädoyer für die wissenschaftliche Ernsthaftigkeit der Hom ö opathie. Haug Publisher, Heidelberg.
- Walach, H. (1993) Does a highly diluted homeopathic drag act as a placebo in healthy volunteers? Experimental study of Belladonna 30 CH in double-blind crossover design-a pilot study, J. Psychosom. Res. 37, 851–869. CrossRef
- Weiss, B., Williams, J. H., Margen, S., Abrams, B., Caan, B., Citron, L. J., Cox, C, McKibben, J., Ogar, D. and Schultz, S. (1980) Behavioral responses to artificial food colors, Science 207, 1487–1489. CrossRef
- Effects of Belladonna 12 CH and 30 CH in Healthy Volunteers
- Book Title
- Signals and Images
- Book Subtitle
- Selected Papers from the 7th and 8th GIRI Meeting, held in Montpellier, France, November 20–21, 1993, and Jerusalem, Israel, December 10–11, 1994
- Book Part
- Chapter III
- pp 215-226
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer Netherlands
- Copyright Holder
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.