Bacterial Blight of Coffee ( Pseudomonas syringae pv. garcae) in Ethiopia
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Bacterial blight has been a very serious problem on coffee in Ethiopia, where the incidence of the disease was estimated at 70–80%. Pathogenic strains were isolated from necrotic leaf spots on coffee. These strains have been studed in various physiological and pathogenicity tests and were similar with Pseudomonas syringae pv. garcae. This is the first report of bacterial blight of coffee in Ethiopia.
- Beltyukova, K.I., Matishevskaya, M.S., Kulikovskaya, M.D. and Sidorenko, S.S. 1968: Metody issledovaniya vozbuditeley bacteriainich boiezney rasteniy. Naukova Dumka, Kiev, USSR (in Russian). 316 pp.
- Ceska, U. 1971: Biosynthesis of levan and a new method for She assay of levan sucrose activity. Biochem. J., 125, 1, p. 209–211.
- Dagnatchew Yirgon, 1967: Plant diseases of economic importance in Ethiopia. College of Agriculture, Debre Zeit, pp. 26–27.
- 14th National crop improvement conference, Institute of Agricultural Research, Addis Abeba, Ethiopia, 1982, p. 519.
- Fuchs, A. 1956: Synthesis of levan by Pseudomonas. Nature, 178, 43, 921. CrossRef
- Kairu, G.M. 1986: Inoculation methods and infectivity tests with a fluorescent isolate of Pseudomonas syringae van Hall the cause of bacteria! blight of coffee. Kenya Coffee, Sept. 1986, pp. 255–258.
- Klement, Z. and Goodman R. 1967: The hypersensitive reaction to infection by bacterial plant pathogens. Annual Rev. Phyiopathoi. 5, 17–44. CrossRef
- Korobko, A.P. 1988: Manual for study and identification of plant pathogenic bacteria. Scientific Phyto pathological Laboratory, State Agro-Industrial Committee of USSR, Arnbo, Ethiopia, pp. 13–16.
- Kovacs, N. 1956: identification of Pseudomonas pyocyanea by the oxidase reaction. Nature, London, 178, 703. CrossRef
- Lelliott, R.A., Billing, E. and Hayward, A.C. 1966: A determinative scheme for the fluorescent plant pathogenic pseudomonads. J. Appl. Bacterioi. 29, 470–482. CrossRef
- Merdasa Ejeta. 1985: A riview of coffee diseases and their control in Ethiopia. A Review of Crop Protection Research in Ethiopia. Proceedings of the First Ethiopian Crop Protection Symposium, 4-7 February, 1985. Addis-Ababa, Ethiopia, pp. 179–191.
- Meseret, W. 1991: Testing of some arabica coffee type germplasms from Ethiopia for susceptibility to bacterial blight of coffee (Pseudomonas syringae van Hail). Pseudomonas syringae Pathovars Proceedings of the 4th international Working Group on Pseudomonas syringae Pathovars, Italy, 10-13 June 1991, pp. 64–69.
- Mesfin Ameha. 1987: Current activities, recommendations, and future strategies for the coffee research programm. 19th National Crop Improvement Conference. Addis-Ababa, 22-25 April 1985, p. 27.
- Ramos, A.H. 1979: Bacterial blight of coffee: the inoculum supply and avenues of infection. Plant Dis. Rep. 63, 6–10.
- Ramos, A.H. and Kamidi, R.E. 1981: Seasonal periodicity and distribution of bacterial blight of coffee in Kenya. Plant Disease, 65, 581–584. CrossRef
- Schaad, N.W. (ed). 1980: laboratory guide for the identification of piant pathogenic bacteria. APS, Minnesota, USA, 72 pp.
- Young, J.M., Dye, D.W., Bradbury, J.F. Panagopoulos, C.G and Robbs C.F. 1978: A proposed nomenclature and classification for plant pathogenic bacteria. N.Z.J.Agric. Res. 21, 153–177. CrossRef
- Bacterial Blight of Coffee ( Pseudomonas syringae pv. garcae) in Ethiopia
- Book Title
- Pseudomonas Syringae Pathovars and Related Pathogens
- Book Part
- Section VI
- pp 538-541
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Developments in Plant Pathology
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Copyright Holder
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. Institut für Pflanzenpathologie und Pflanzenschutz der Universität
- 2. Department of Plant Pathology, NYSAES-Cornell University
- 3. Department Biological Sciences, Wye College, University of London
- 4. Central Science Laboratory
- 5. Department of Biological Science, UWE-Bristol
- 6. Biologische Bundesanstalt für Land- und Forstwirtschaft
- Author Affiliations
- 7. Institute of Microbiology, Virology of the National Academy of Sciences, Zaboiotny str.,154, 252143, Kiev, Ukraine
- 8. Scientific Phytopathological Laboratory, Ambo, Ethiopia
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.