Combined Finite Element and Multibody Techniques for Vehicle Occupant Safety Studies
- H. A. Lupker
- … show all 1 hide
The use of computer simulation techniques in automotive crash safety design has rapidly increased in the past years. For the human body as well as the restraint systems, e.g. seat belts and airbags, computer models are becoming more and more realistic. In existing Crash Victim Simulation programs the occupant is represented by a system of rigid bodies and the restraint systems with special force models.
The integrated multibody/finite element program for crash analyses MADYMO is described with special emphasis on the finite element airbag module. A validation study using a pendulum test with a driver side airbag is described. The agreement between the measured and calculated results is good. The kinematics of both driver and passenger side airbag systems in a car environment are shown.
- McHenry, RR (1963) Analysis of the dynamics of automobile passenger-restraint systems.
- Robbins, DH (1970) Three-dimensional simulation of advanced automotive restraint systems. CrossRef
- Prasad, P, Chou, CC (1989) A Review of Mathematical Occupant Simulation Models.
- Lupker, HA, Koppens, WP (1992) MADYMO vehicle dynamics application.
- Lupker, HA (1991) Advances in MADYMO Crash Simulations. CrossRef
- Phillippens, M, Nieboer, JJ, Wismans, J (1991) An Advanced Database of the 50th Percentile Hybrid III Dummy. CrossRef
- Lupker, HA, Helleman, HB, Fraterman, E, Wismans, J (1991) The MADYMO Finite Element Airbag Model.
- Coo, PJA (1988) Integrierte Kollisionssimulation mit FE- und Insassenmodellen.
- Lupker, HA, Bruijs, WEM (1993) Evaluation of Gas Jet Model for Airbag Inflators. CrossRef
- W.E.M. Bruijs, Subcycling in Transient Finite Element Analysis; PhD Thesis Eindhoven University of Technology, ISBN 90-9003684-9.
- Bruijs, WEM (1992) Airbag Simulations with the MADYMO Fem Module. CrossRef
- Hirth, A, Petit, HJ, Bacher, W (1992) Validierung eines FE-Airbagmodells für Schlittenversuchs-Simulationen.
- O’Connor, CS, Rao, MK (1992) Development of a model of a Three-Year-Old Child Dummy used in Air Bag Applications. CrossRef
- Combined Finite Element and Multibody Techniques for Vehicle Occupant Safety Studies
- Book Title
- Topics in Applied Mechanics
- Book Subtitle
- Integration of Theory and Applications in Applied Mechanics
- pp 277-284
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer Netherlands
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media Dordrecht
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. Philips Research
- 2. Laboratory for Aero and Hydrodynamics, Technical University of Delft
- H. A. Lupker (3)
- Author Affiliations
- 3. TNO Road-Vehicles Research Institute, Crash-Safety Research Centre, P.O. Box 6033, 2600 JA, Delft, The Netherlands
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.