Extreme Bending of Concrete Coated Offshore Pipelines
- G. Endal
- … show all 1 hide
This paper presents results from numerical analyses on the bending stiffness of discontinously concrete coated offshore pipelines in pure bending. A thorough description of the behaviour is given. The paper is particularly concerned with the strain concentrations at the field joints.
The problem is modeled numerically using the FE-program DIANA. Shell elements are used for the steel pipe and the concrete coating, and these two layers of elements are interconnected bu the used of an interface-element given bond-slip material properties in order to model the anti-corrosion coating (asphalt) and the slipping between the steel pipe and the concrete coating.
The results show that the concrete coating will cause significant strain concentrations at the field joints, especially when the steel at the joint is bent into the plastic area. The magnitude of the strain concentrations are, however, strongly dependent on the concrete thickness, the D/t-ratio and the shear transfer capacity of the anti-corrosion coating.
- Akten, HT, Lund, SogMiller (1985) `On the Design and Construction of Statpipe Pipelin System’, Proc. Offshore Technology Conference. OTC 4922: pp. 247-257
- Archer, GLogAdams (1983) `The Behavior of Concrete over Thin Film Epoxy Coatings on Offshore Pipelines’. Proc. Offshore Technology ConferenceOTC 4453: pp. 85-95
- Jirsa, JO, Wilhoit, JC, Aguirre, M, Mogbo, NC (1969) `Effect of Concrete Coating on the Rigidity of 12 3/4-in. Line Pipe’. Offshore Technology Conference, OTC
- Konuk, I (1984) `Some Considerations on the Effect of Concrete Coating on the Pipeline Design’. Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering, OMAE Conference, New Orleans
- Lund, S, Bruschi, R, Montesi, M, Sintini, L (1993) `Laying criteria versus strain concentration at field joints for heavily coated pipelines’. Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering V: pp. 41-56
- Mogbo, NC, Jirsa, JO, Wilhoit, JC (1971) `Effective Stiffness of Concrete Coated Line Pipe’.
- Sriskandarajah, T, Mahendran, IK (1992) `Critique of Offshore Pipelay Criteria and Its Effect on Pipeline Design’. OTC, Proc. Offshore Technology Conference
- Extreme Bending of Concrete Coated Offshore Pipelines
- Book Title
- DIANA Computational Mechanics ‘94
- Book Subtitle
- Proceedings of the First International Diana Conference on Computational Mechanics
- pp 339-348
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer Netherlands
- Copyright Holder
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Concrete coating
- Non-uniform bending
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. TNO Building and Construction Research/DIANA Foundation
- 2. TNO Building and Construction Research
- G. Endal (3)
- Author Affiliations
- 3. The Norwegian Institute of Technology Department of Structural Engineering, University of Trondheim, Norway
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.