The Savings and Loan Debacle: Moral Hazard or Market Disaster?
- Gregory A. LillyAffiliated withElon College
The savings and loan (S&L) industry is a good place to study the causes of depository institution failure for two reasons. First, in contrast to commercial banks, the traditional S&L is a relatively simple organization. Second, cause and effect cannot be determined without outcome variation, and the S&L industry provides plenty of variation in failure rates. Figure 1 plots the failure rate of federally insured S&Ls for the years 1934–1988. for comparison, the average failure rate during the four year period 1930–1933 is also shown.1
- The Savings and Loan Debacle: Moral Hazard or Market Disaster?
- Book Title
- The Causes and Costs of Depository Institution Failures
- pp 119-161
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Innovations in Financial Markets and Institutions
- Series Volume
- Springer Netherlands
- Copyright Holder
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.