Preliminary Seismic Analysis and Design of Liquid Storage Tanks
- R. C. Barros
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The behavior of thin shell cylindrical steel liquid storage tanks anchored to the foundation is studied when these structures are subjected to earthquake horizontal ground motions. Different analytical procedures are applied for the analyses of typical liquid storage tanks that suffered damage during the earthquake that occured in San Juan (Argentina) in:November 1977. These procedures consider the generalized tank-fluid system as rigid or as a system with distributed flexibility. Results from the analyses using different methods are presented and compared, and some possible reasons for the inadequate observed behavior are detected. An improved procedure for the comprehensive seismic resistant design of cylindrical tanks is summarized. Finally, some recommendations and research needs to improve the design and construction of this type of liquid storage tanks are suggested.
- Jacobsen, L.S., ‘Impulsive Hydrodynamics of Fluid inside a Cylindrical Tank and of Fluid surrounding a Cylindrical Pier’, Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America, Vol. 39 (1949), 189–204.
- Jacobsen, L.S., and Ayre, R.S. ‘Hydrodynamic Experiments with Rigid Cylindrical Tanks subjected 1 to Transient Motions’, Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America, Vol. 41 (1951), 313–346.
- Housner, G.W., ‘The Dynamic Behavior of Water Tanks’, Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America, Vol. 53 (1963), 381–387.
- Newmark, N.M. and Rosenblueth, E. - Fundamentals of Earth, quake Engineering, Prentice-Hall, Inc., Englewood Cliffs, N.J., 1971.
- Veletsos, A.S., ‘Seismic effects in flexible liquid storage tanks’, Proc. 5th World Conf. Earthq. Engrg., Rome, Italy, Vol. 1, 630–639, 1974.
- Shaaban, S.H. and Nash, W.A., ‘Finite element analysis of a seismically excited cylindrical storage tank, ground supported, an partially filled with liquid’, Dept. of Civil Engrg., Univ. of Massachusetts, 1976.
- Parkus, H., ‘Modes and Frequencies of Vibrating Liquid-filled Cylindrical Tanks’, Int. J. Engrg. Sci., Vol. 20, No. 2 (1982), 319–326. CrossRef
- Committee on Gas and Liquid Fuel Lifelines, — Guidelines for the Seismic Design of Oil and Gas Pipeline Systems, ASCE Technical Council on Lifeline Earthquake Engineering, New York, 1984.
- Manos, G.C., ‘Dynamic response of a broad storage tank model under a variety of simulated earthquake motions’, Proc. 3rd U.S. Nat. Conf. Earthq. Engrg., Charleston, South Carolina, Vol. Ill, sec. 10/2131–2142, 1986.
- Peek, R., Jennings, P.C. and Babcock, C.D., ‘The Preuplift method for anchoring fluid storage tanks’, Proc. 3rd U.S. Nat. Conf. Earthq. Engrg., Charleston, South Carolina. Vol III, sec. 10/2155–2166, 1986.
- Epstein, H.I., ‘Seismic design of liquid-storage tanks’, Journal of the Structural Division, ASCE, Vol. 102, No. ST9 (1976), 1659–1673.
- Veletsos, A.S. and Yang, J.Y.,‘Earthquake response of liquid storage tanks’, Advances in Civil Engineering through Engineering Mechanics, ASCE, 1, 1977.
- Sogabe, Shigeta and Shibata,‘A fundamental study on the aseismic design of liquid storages’, Report of the Institute of Industrial Science, Univ. of Tokyo, Vol. 26, No. 7, 1977 (in Japanese).
- Carneiro de Barros, R., ‘Projecto Anti-Sismico de Tanques Metalicos de Armazenamento de Liquidos’, Relatorio interno, Depto. Enga Civil, F.E.U.P., Porto, 1986.
- Carneiro de Barros, R., ‘Dynamic Analysis of Liquid Storage Tanks’, Proc. 8th European Conf. Earthq. Engrg, Lisbon, Portugal, Vol. 3, sec. 6.8/81–88, 1986.
- Johnston, B.G., ed., - Guide to Stability Design Criteria for Metal Structures, ch. 10, John Wiley & Sons, New York, 1976.
- Preliminary Seismic Analysis and Design of Liquid Storage Tanks
- Book Title
- Numerical Techniques for Engineering Analysis and Design
- Book Subtitle
- Proceedings of the International Conference on Numerical Methods in Engineering: Theory and Applications, NUMETA ’87, Swansea, 6–10 July 1987. VOLUME I
- Book Part
- Section D
- pp 453-464
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer Netherlands
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media B.V.
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.