Didactics of Mathematics and the Professional Knowledge of Teachers
- Paolo BoeroAffiliated withDepartment of Mathematics, University of Genoa
- , Carlo DapuetoAffiliated withDepartment of Mathematics, University of Genoa
- , Laura ParentiAffiliated withDepartment of Mathematics, University of Genoa
This chapter will deal with the problem of the relationships between didactics of mathematics as a rapidly developing field of investigation and the professional knowledge of mathematics teachers as an individual and social construction. We will focus on teachers’ pre-service and in-service education as the situations where systematic contacts may be established between research in didactics of mathematics and the construction of teachers’ professional knowledge.
We will discuss present difficulties in establishing a productive relationship between teachers’ education and different strands of research in didactics of mathematics, and different perspectives about how to establish such a relationship.
- Didactics of Mathematics and the Professional Knowledge of Teachers
- Book Title
- International Handbook of Mathematics Education
- Book Subtitle
- Part 1
- pp 1097-1121
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Kluwer International Handbooks of Education
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media B.V.
- Additional Links
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. Monash University
- 2. Universiti Brunei, Darussalam
- 3. Freie Universität Berlin
- 4. The University of Georgia
- 5. Université Joseph Fourier
- Author Affiliations
- 7. Department of Mathematics, University of Genoa, Italy
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.