Teaching and Learning Toward a Sustainable Future: The Sustainability Academy at Lawrence Barnes
The Sustainability Academy at Lawrence Barnes is the USA’s first sustainability-themed elementary magnet school. The Sustainability Academy, located in Burlington, Vermont, was created by the Burlington School District in partnership with Shelburne Farms, a nonprofit education organization. This chapter outlines the history of the school’s transformation and lessons learned throughout this process. Education for sustainability in an elementary school setting is discussed in depth, highlighting examples of emergent curriculum and student learning. Essential elements, including evaluation, collaboration, community partnerships, curriculum, and leadership, are explored.
- Burlington School Board. (2006). Task force on removing obstacles to the success of students from low income families. Burlington, VT: Burlington School District.
- No Child Left Behind Act of 2001, 20 U.S.C. § 6319 (2008).
- Place-Based Education Evaluation Collaborative. (2004). The benefits of place-based education; a report from the place-based education evaluation collaborative. Richmond, VT: PEER Associates. Retrieved from http://www.promiseofplace.org/research_attachments/PEEC2010_web.pdf
- Shelburne Farms’ Sustainable Schools Project. (2001). Framework of education for sustainability (EfS). Retrieved July 15, 2011, from http://www.sustainableschoolsproject.org/education/venn
- Shelburne Farms’ Sustainable Schools Project. (2004). Big ideas of sustainability. Retrieved July 15, 2011, from http://www.sustainableschoolsproject.org/education/big-ideas
- Shelburne Farms. (2007). Healthy neighborhoods healthy kids guide. Shelburne, VT: Author.
- Sobel, D. (2004). Place based education: Connecting classrooms and communities. Great Barrington, MA: The Orion Society.
- Sustainable Schools Project. (2001). Framework of education for sustainability (EfS). Retrieved from http://www.sustainableschoolsproject.org/education/venn
- Sustainable Schools Project. (2004). Big ideas of sustainability. Retrieved from http://www.sustainableschoolsproject.org/education/big-ideas
- Wiggins, G., & McTighe, J. (1998). Understanding by design. Alexandria, VA: Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development.
- Teaching and Learning Toward a Sustainable Future: The Sustainability Academy at Lawrence Barnes
- Book Title
- Schooling for Sustainable Development in Canada and the United States
- pp 123-136
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Schooling for Sustainable Development
- Series Volume
- Springer Netherlands
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media Dordrecht.
- Additional Links
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.