Teaching and Learning Toward a Sustainable Future: The Sustainability Academy at Lawrence Barnes
- Jen CirilloAffiliated withShelburne Farms’ Sustainable Schools Project Email author
- , Anne Tewksbury-FryeAffiliated withSustainability Academy at Lawrence Barnes Elementary School
The Sustainability Academy at Lawrence Barnes is the USA’s first sustainability-themed elementary magnet school. The Sustainability Academy, located in Burlington, Vermont, was created by the Burlington School District in partnership with Shelburne Farms, a nonprofit education organization. This chapter outlines the history of the school’s transformation and lessons learned throughout this process. Education for sustainability in an elementary school setting is discussed in depth, highlighting examples of emergent curriculum and student learning. Essential elements, including evaluation, collaboration, community partnerships, curriculum, and leadership, are explored.
- Teaching and Learning Toward a Sustainable Future: The Sustainability Academy at Lawrence Barnes
- Book Title
- Schooling for Sustainable Development in Canada and the United States
- pp 123-136
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Schooling for Sustainable Development
- Series Volume
- Springer Netherlands
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media Dordrecht.
- Additional Links
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.