Social Class and the Timing and Context of Childbearing
Karen grew up in inner city Philadelphia. She started seeing Bill, a 20 year-old handyman, when she was 16 and soon became pregnant. Karen dropped out of high school during her third trimester, and moved in with Bill. Karen and Bill lived together for about a year and a half before they broke up. Karen now lives at home in a small apartment with her mother and her young daughter, Alexis. Karen hopes to earn her GED 1 day, but for the time being, she is busy raising Alexis and looking for a job with decent pay. Felicia grew up in Winnetka, Illinois, a northern suburb of Chicago. She received a Bachelor’s Degree from Wesleyan University and then went on to earn an MBA from the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania. Felicia then moved to New York City to take a position as an investment banker for a large firm in the financial industry.
- Social Class and the Timing and Context of Childbearing
- Book Title
- Understanding Family Change and Variation
- Book Subtitle
- Toward a Theory of Conjunctural Action
- pp 87-110
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Understanding Population Trends and Processes
- Series Volume
- Springer Netherlands
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media B.V.
- Additional Links
- eBook Packages
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Demography, University of California at Berkeley, Piedmont Avenue 2232, 94720-2120, Berkeley, California, USA
- 2. Cardinal Lane 6253, 21044, Columbia, Maryland, USA
- 3. Sociology Department, Duke University, Box 90088, 27708-0088, Durham, North Carolina, 268 Soc-Psych Bldg, USA
- 4. University of Pennsylvania, Population Studies Center, Locust Walk 3718, 19104-6298, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.