Design Standards Comparison of Reinforced Concrete Strengthening Using FRP Composite in Chinese and ACI Codes
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The application of Fiber Reinforced Polymer (FRP) in civil engineering is a growing field worldwide. Many countries have different ideas and opinions on the applications of FRP. It includes general researches, standards design and specifications. Based on these key parameters, an exhaustive comparison between design standards of FRP-Strengthened reinforced concrete in the Chinese code and that of American Concrete Institute (ACI) is carried out in this paper. From a general viewpoint, the strategies of both codes for strengthening reinforced concrete structures are uniform. Nevertheless, the calculation methods of the bonded length, flexural capacity, and shear capacity are different from one another. The differences and sameness would deepen designers' understanding of FRP and illuminate them to pay more attention on these issues during calculation. This will contribute in making FRP an important material that could be effectively used and widely applied in the civil structures throughout the world.
- American Concrete Institute — Committee 318 (1999). Building Code Requirements for Structural Concrete and Commentary, ACI 318-99/R-99, ACI, Farmington Hills, MI, USA.
- American Concrete Institute — Committee 318 (2002). Building Code Requirements for Structural Concrete and Commentary, ACI 318-02/R-02, ACI, Farmington Hills, MI, USA.
- American Concrete Institute — Committee 440 (2002). Guide for the Design and Construction of Externally Bonded FRP Systems for Strengthening Concrete Structures, ACI 440.2R-02, ACI, Farmington Hills, MI, USA.
- Code for design of concrete structures. (2002). China building industry press.
- Ng. C.K., Private communication, University Sarawak Malaysia, East Malaysia.
- Quek M.L., Private communication, Fyfe Co. Pte. Ltd., Singapore.
- Technical specification for strengthening concrete structures with carbon fiber reinforces polymer laminate (2002).
- Ye L.P., Private communication, Tsinghua University, China.
- Design Standards Comparison of Reinforced Concrete Strengthening Using FRP Composite in Chinese and ACI Codes
- Book Title
- Computational Structural Engineering
- Book Subtitle
- Proceedings of the International Symposium on Computational Structural Engineering, held in Shanghai, China, June 22–24, 2009
- pp 1197-1205
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer Netherlands
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- reinforced concrete
- ACI codes
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. Key Laboratory of Geotechnical and Underground Engineering of Ministry of Education, Tongji University
- 2. Academy of Mathematics and System Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences
- 3. Institute for Mechanics of Materials and Structures, Vienna University of Technology
- Author Affiliations
- 4. College of Civil Engineering, Chongqing University, Chongqing, P.R., China
- 5. Department of Disaster Prevention Engineering, College of Civil Engineering, Chongqing University, Chongqing, P.R., China
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.