Fluctuations and Large Deviations in Non-equilibrium Systems
- Bernard DerridaAffiliated withLaboratoire de Physique Statistique, Ecole Normale Supérieure Email author
For systems in contact with two reservoirs at different densities, the large deviation function of the density gives a possible way of extending the notion of free energy to non-equilibrium systems. This large deviation function of the density can be calculated explicitly for exclusion models in one dimension with open boundary conditions. For the simple exclusion process as well as for other diffusive systems, one can also obtain the distribution of the current of particles flowing through the system and the results lead to a simple conjecture for the large deviation function of the current of more general diffusive systems.
- Fluctuations and Large Deviations in Non-equilibrium Systems
- Book Title
- New Trends in Mathematical Physics
- Book Subtitle
- Selected contributions of the XVth International Congress on Mathematical Physics
- pp 187-210
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer Netherlands
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media B.V.
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.