General Physiology of Rabbits
- Masashi Morimoto
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
In this chapter, I summarize the basic and general physiology of experimental rabbits. The information should be helpful for researchers who use rabbits as an experimental tool. The emphasis will be given to the comparison between rabbits and humans.
- Altman PL and Dittmer DS. (1964) Body weight: Mammals other than man and rodents. In “Biology Data Book”: 99–100. Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology, Washington, DC.
- Barzago MM, Botolotti A, Omarini D, et al. (1992) Monitoring of blood gas parameters and acid-base balance of pregnant and non-pregnant rabbit (Oryctolagus cuniculus) in routine experimental conditions. Lab. Anim. 26: 73–78. CrossRef
- Batchelor GR (1991) Group housing on floor pens and enrichment in sandy lop rabbits. Anim. Technol. 42: 109–120.
- Batchelor GR (1999) The laboratory rabbit. In “The UFAW Handbook on the Care and Management of Laboratory Animals” 7th ed.: 395–408. Blackwell Science, Oxford.
- Bell DJ (1999) The European wild rabbit. In “The UFAW Handbook on the Care and Management of Laboratory Animals” 7th ed.: 389–394. Blackwell Science, Oxford.
- Cheeke PR and Amberg JW (1973) Comparative calcium excretion by rats and rabbits. J. Anim. Sci. 37: 450–454.
- Cox RH (1978) Comparison of carotid artery mechanics in the rat, rabbits, and dog. Am. J. Physiol. 234: H280–H288.
- Flatt RE and Carpenter AB (1971) Identification of crystalline material in urine of rabbit. Am. J. Vet. Res. 32: 655–658.
- Gillett CS (1994) Selected drug dosages and clinical reference data. In “The Biology of the Laboratory Rabbit” 2nd ed.: 467–472. Academic, San Diego, CA.
- Gonzalez RR, Kluger MJ and Stolwijk AJ (1974) Thermoregulatory responses to thermal transients in the rabbit. Am. J. Physiol. 227: 1292–1298.
- Hagen KW (1974) Colony husbandry. In “The Biology of the Laboratory Rabbit”: 23–47. Academic, New York.
- Harkness JE and Wagner JE (1983) “The Biology and Medicine of rabbits and rodents.” 2nd ed. Lea & Febiger, Philadelphia, PA.
- Heath M and Stott E (1990) Housing rabbits the unconventional way. Anim. Technol. 41: 13–25.
- Hennemann PH (1959) Effects of high calcium intakes on renal function. Fed. Proc. 18: 1093–1096.
- Kaplan HM and Timmons EH (1979) “The Rabbit — A Model for the Principles of Mammalian Physiology and Surgery.” Academic, New York.
- Kersten AM, Meijsser FM, Metz JH (1989) Effects of early handling on later open-field behavior in rabbits. Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 24: 157–167. CrossRef
- Matsuki T, Cohen MV and Downey JM (1990) Free radical scavengers preserve wall motion in the xanthine oxidase-deficient rabbit heart. Coron. Artery Dis. 1: 383–390. CrossRef
- Meredith A (2000) General biology and husbandry. In “Manual of Rabbit Medicine and Surgery”: 13–23. British Small Animal Veterinary Association, London.
- Mitruka BM and Rawnsley HM (1977) “Clinical Biochemical and Hematological Reference Value in Normal Experimental Animals.” Masson, New York.
- Morton DB, Jennings M, Batchelor GR, et al. (1993) Refinement in rabbit husbandry. Lab. Anim. 27: 301–329. CrossRef
- Myers K, Parer I, Wood D, et al. (1994) The rabbit in Australia. In “The European Rabbit: The History and Biology: The History and Biology of a Successful Coloniser”: 108–157. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- Mykytowycz R (1968) Territorial marking by rabbits. Sci. Am. 218: 116–126. CrossRef
- Sanford TD and Colby ED (1980) Effect of xylazine and ketamine on blood pressure, heart rate, and respiratory rate in rabbits. Lab. Anim. Sci. 30: 519–523.
- Suckow MA, Brammer DW, Rush HG and Chrisp CE (2002) Biology and diseases of rabbits. In “Laboratory Animal Medicine” 2nd ed.: 329–364. Academic, San Diego, CA.
- Wolford ST, Schroer RA, Gohs FX, et al. (1986) Reference range data base for serum chemistry and hematology values in laboratory animals. J. Toxicol. Environ. Health 18: 161–188. CrossRef
- Yokoyama E (1979) Flow-volume curves of excised right and left rabbit lungs. J. Appl. Physiol. 46: 461–468.
- Zarrow MX, Denenberg VH, Anderson CO (1965) Rabbit: Frequency of suckling in the pup. Science 150: 1835–1836. CrossRef
- General Physiology of Rabbits
- Book Title
- Rabbit Biotechnology
- pp 27-35
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer Netherlands
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Comparative medicine
- normal rabbit values
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. Institute of Research in Agronomy
- 2. Department of Molecular Pathology, Interdisciplinary Graduate, School of Medicine and Engineering, University of Yamanashi
- Masashi Morimoto (3)
- Author Affiliations
- 3. Department of Rehabilitation, Kumamoto Health Science University, Kumamoto, Japan
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.