Surgical Management of Intracranial Gliomas — Does Radical Resection Improve Outcome?
This paper discusses the arguments for and against radical tumor resection as a strategy for treatment of cerebral gliomas.
Method. Data from the Glioma Outcome Project were analyzed to determine whether survival could be related to extent of resection in 666 patients treated by biopsy or resection for malignant cerebral gliomas.
Findings. Consistent survival advantages were noted for those patients treated with resection.
Interpretation. This observational study, although undoubtedly reflecting selection bias, provides data that support resection as a major factor in survival after surgery for malignant gliomas.
- Anderson FA Jr, The Gliomas Outcomes Project Advisory Board (1998) The Glioma Outcomes Project: a resource for measuring and improving glioma outcomes. Neurosurg Focus 4(6): 8–10 CrossRef
- Ciric I, Ammirati M, Vick N, Mikhael M (1987) Supratentorial gliomas: surgical considerations and immediate postoperative results. Neurosurgery 21: 21–26 CrossRef
- Curran WJ Jr, Scott CB, Horton J, Nelson JS, Weinstein AS, Fischbach AJ, Chang CH, Rothman M, Asbell SO, Krisch RE et al (1993) Recursive partitioning analysis of prognostic factors in three Radiation Therapy Oncology Group malignant glioma trials. J Nat Cancer Inst 85: 704–710 CrossRef
- Kelly PJ, Daumàs-Duport C, Kispert DB, Kall BA, Scheithauer BW, Illig JJ (1987) Imaging-based stereotactic serial biopsies in untreated intracranial glial neoplasms. J Neurosurg 66: 865–874 CrossRef
- Kreth FW, Berlis A, Spiropoulou V, Faist M, Scheremet R, Rossner R, Volk B, Ostertag CB (1999) The role of tumor resection in the treatment of glioblastoma multiforme in adults. Cancer 86: 2117–2123 CrossRef
- Laws ER, Goldberg WJ, Bernstein JJ (1993) Migration of human malignant astrocytoma cells in the mammalian brain: Scherer revisted. Int J Devl Neurosci 11: 691–697 CrossRef
- Laws ER, Shaffrey ME (1999) The inherent invasiveness of cerebral gliomas: implications for clinical management. Int J Devl Neurosci 17: 413–420 CrossRef
- Laws ER Jr, Taylor WF, Clifton MB, Okagaki H (1984) Neurosurgical management of low-grade astrocytomas of the cerebral hemispheres. J Neurosurg 61: 665–673 CrossRef
- Ojemann JG, Miller JW, Silbergeld DL (1996) Preserved func tion in brain invaded by tumor. Neurosurgery 39: 253–259 CrossRef
- Silbergeld DL, Chicone MR (1997) Isolation of human malignant glioma cells from histologically normal brain. J Neurosurg 86: 525–531 CrossRef
- Surgical Management of Intracranial Gliomas — Does Radical Resection Improve Outcome?
- Book Title
- Intraoperative Imaging in Neurosurgery
- Book Subtitle
- MRI, CT, Ultrasound
- Book Part
- Part II
- pp 47-53
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Acta Neurochirurgica Supplements
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Vienna
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag Vienna
- Additional Links
- Malignant glioma
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. Department of Neurosurgery, University Hospital Zurich
- Author Affiliations
- 2. Department of Neurosurgery, Health Science Centre, University of Charlottesville Virginia, USA
- 3. Center for Outcomes Research, University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester, MA, USA
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.