Situation Appropriate Airbag Deployment: Child Seat Presence and Orientation Detection (CPOD)
- Thierry Goniva
- … show all 1 hide
In the last years, the auto industry has grown increasingly aware of the potential dangers of passenger airbag deployments, especially for children placed in a child seat. As a solution to this problem, IEE has developped the CPOD system, based on its already hugely successful Passenger Presence Detection (PPD) sensor foil.
IEE’s CPOD system is divided into two components: the transmitting and receiving antenna loops, integrated in the passenger seat, and a resonator circuit fitted in the socket of the child seat. The need for extremely low radiation and a cost-effective system has led to a very basic antenna structure, which consists of single-loop coils printed on the existing PPD sensor mat. Weak electromagnetic fields (emitted by the transmitting antenna) are used to establish a communication between the resonators and the processing electronics as well as to supply energy to the low-power resonator circuitry. Using both the information encoded in the received signals and their intensity, the processing electronics are able to take a decision on the presence, orientation and type of a child seat. Thanks to the redundancy and the multiple modulation of the transmitted information, the necessary reliability and interference immunity for a system which controls airbag deployment behaviour is obtained.
Future developments will integrate an Occupant Classification into IEE’s sensor foil to offer even more parameters to modulate airbag deployment.
- “The BMW Seat occupancy Monitoring System: A Step Towards “Situation Appropriate Airbag Deployment””, Klaus Kompaß, Michel Witte, SAE Paper
- “Automatic Passenger Presence Detection and Child Seat Orientation Detection”, Andreas Hirl, Peter Popp, Joachim Uhde, Paul Schockmel, SAE Paper
- “Detection Of Passenger Presence And Child Seat Orientation”, Bobby Serban, Paul Schockmel, Michel Witte, airbag 2000 Paper
- Situation Appropriate Airbag Deployment: Child Seat Presence and Orientation Detection (CPOD)
- Book Title
- Advanced Microsystems for Automotive Applications 98
- pp 43-53
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg
- Additional Links
- smart airbags
- child seats
- occupant sensing
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.