VLSI Implementations of a Reduced Instruction Set Computer
A general trend in computers today is to increase the complexity of architectures commensurate with the increasing potential of implementation technologies. Consequences of this complexity are increased design time, more design errors, inconsistent implementations, and the delay of single chip implementation. The Reduced Instruction Set Computer (RISC) Project investigates a VLSI alternative to this trend. Our initial design is called RISC I.
- Frank, E.H. and Sproull, R.F., “An Approach to Debugging Custom Integrated Circuits,” Carnegie-Mellon Computer Science Research Review 1979-80, pp. 21–36 (July, 1981).
- Joy, W.N., Fabry, R.S., and Sklower, K., Seventh Edition, Virtual VAX-11 Vernon, Computer Science Division, Dept of EECS, U. C. Berkeley June, 1981.
- Lattin, V.V., Bayliss, J.A., Budde, D.L, Colley, S.R., Cox, G.V., Goodman, A.L., Rattner, J.R., Richardson, W.S., and Swanson, R.C., “A 32b VLSI Micromainframe Computer System,” Proc. IEEE International Solid-State Circuits Conference, pp. 110–111 (February, 1981 ).
- Lattin, W.W., Bayliss, J.A., Budde, D.L., Rattner, J.R., and Richardson, W.S., “A Methodology for VLSI Chip Design,” Lambda, pp. 34–44 (Second Quarter, 1981 ).
- Newton, A.R., Pederson, D.O., Sangiovanni-Vincentelli, A.L., and Sequin, C.H., “Design Aids for VLSI: The Berkeley Perspective,” IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems, (July 1961).
- Ousterhout, J., “Caesar: An Interactive Editor for VLSI Circuits,” VLSI Design II(4)(Fourth Quarter, 1981). to appear
- Patterson, D.A. and Ditzel, D.R., “The Case for the Reduced Instruction Set Computer,” Computer Architecture News 8(6) pp. 25–33 (15 October 1980 ). CrossRef
- Patterson, D.A. and Sequin, C.H., “Design Considerations for Single-Chip Computers of the Future,” IEEE Transactions on Computers C-29(2) pp. 108–116 ( February 1980 ). Joint Special Issue on Microprocessors and Microcomputers.
- Patterson, D.A. and Sequin, C.H., “RISC I: A Reduced Instruction Set VLSI Computer,” Proc. Eighth International Symposium on Computer Architecture, pp. 443–457, (May 1981).
- Rattner, J.R.,Private Communication, August 1981
- VLSI Implementations of a Reduced Instruction Set Computer
- Book Title
- VLSI Systems and Computations
- pp 327-336
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. Carnegie-Mellon University
- Author Affiliations
- 2. Computer Science Division/EECS Department, University of California at Berkeley, Berkeley, California, 94720, USA
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.