Application of Statistical Selection Procedures in Biotechnology
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
A short methodical summary about the two classes of statistical selection procedures is given, i.e. the indifference zone (and d-correct) procedures and the subset procedures. The biotechnological problem consisted in selecting the „best“ or at least a „good“ mutant with high enzyme activity from a set of eight mutants of the species Aspergillus niger with a large probability. Depending on suppositions about the variances of the enzyme activities, different selection rules are applied. Starting with the subset procedure of Gupta (1985) for the case of equal variances, the number of mutants is reduced. The following d-correct procedure of Bechhofer, Dunnett and Sobel (1954) calculates the necessary sample size n. Then the mutant whose sample has the largest mean will be selected as a „good“ one with a given precision of d and a probability of correct selection of (1-β). As long as the variances of the enzyme activities are assumed to be different, the selection procedure of Dudewicz and Dalai (1975) must be used.
- Bechhofer, R.E. (1954). A single-sample multiple decision procedure for ranking means of normal populations with known variances. Ann. Math. Stat. 25, 16–39. CrossRef
- Bechhofer,R. E., Dunnett, C.W.and Sobel, M. (1954). A two-sample multiple decision procedure for ranking means of normal populations with a common unknown variance. Biometrika 41, 170–176.
- Chiu, W.K. (1974). The ranking of means of normal populations for a generalised selection goal. Biometrika 61, 579–584. CrossRef
- Dudewicz, EJ. and Dalal, S.R. (1975). Allocation of observations in ranking and selection with unequal variances. Sankhya Ser.B 37, 28–78.
- Gargova, S. and Tschiriska, J. (1984). Study of the effects of different mutagenic factors on Aspergillus niger. Sci. Rep of the HIFFI Vol XXXI/1, 255–262.
- Gupta, S.S. and Kim, W. (1984). A two-stage elimination type procedure for selecting the largest of several normal means with a common unknown variance, in: Design of Experiments: Ranking and selection. Ed. by T.J. Santner and A.C. Tamhane, M.Dekker Inc., New York.
- Gupta, S.S. and Panchapakesan, S. (1985). Subset selection procedures: review and assessment. Amer. J. Math. Managern. Sci. 5, 235–223.
- Horn, M. and Vollandt, R. (1995). Multiple Tests und Auswahlverfahren. Reihe Biometrie. G. Fischer Verl. Stuttgart.
- Hsu, J.C. (1980). Robust and nonparametric subset selection procedures. Commun. Statist.Theor. Meth. 9, 1439–1459. CrossRef
- Hsu, J.C. (1981). Simultaneous confidence intervals for all distances from the “best”. Ann. Statist. 9, 1026–1034. CrossRef
- Rasch, D., Herrendörfer, G., Bock, J., Victor, N. and Guiard, V. (1996). Verfahrensbibliothek-Versuchsplanung und-Auswertung, Bd.1, R. OldenbourgVerl., München.
- Sobel, M. (1967). ISfonparametric procedures for selecting the t populations with the largest α-quantile. Ann. Math. Statist. 38, 1804–1816. CrossRef
- Application of Statistical Selection Procedures in Biotechnology
- Book Title
- Industrial Statistics
- Book Subtitle
- Aims and Computational Aspects. Proceedings of the Satellite Conference to the 51st Session of the International Statistical Institute (ISI), Athens, Greece, August 16–17, 1997
- Book Part
- Part IV
- pp 209-220
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Contributions to Statistics
- Series ISSN
- Physica-Verlag HD
- Copyright Holder
- Physica-Verlag Heidelberg
- Additional Links
- enzyme activity
- indifference zone procedure
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. Department of Statistics, Athens University of Economics and Business
- 2. German Cancer Research Center, Biostatistics Unit
- Author Affiliations
- 3. FB Lebensmittelwissenschaft und Biotechnologie, FG Informatik, Technische Universität Berlin, Invalidenstr. 42, D-10115, Berlin, Germany
- 4. Plovdiv Dep. of Biotechnology, Higher Institute of Food and Flavour Industry, Bulv. Maritza 26, B- 4000, Plovdiv, Bulgaria
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.