Nucleic Acid Nanotechnology: Modified Backbones and Topological Polymer Templates
- Philip LukemanAffiliated withChemistry Department, St. John’s University Email author
DNA-based nanotechnology has revolutionized the construction of nanoscale objects and devices—primarily by using Watson–Crick base-pairing to program the self-assembly (and reaction pathways) of DNA oligomers into branched structures. However, Watson–Crick-controlled self-assembly is not limited to the use of the “natural” d-(deoxy)ribose phosphodiester backbone.
This chapter describes nanoscale objects synthesized from oligomers containing sugars other than d-deoxyribose or linkages other than phosphodiester linkages. This chapter also focuses on using the backbone of DNA as a topological guide for polymer synthesis.
As these chemical modifications profoundly affect the bioavailability, nuclease resistance, protein binding, optoelectronic, and materials properties of nano-objects compared to their “natural” DNA counterparts, they may find great utility in biomedicine.
KeywordsDNA Polynucleotides Templated syntheses Backbones Nylon Conducting polymers Nanotechnology DNA nanotechnology DNA-based nanotechnology Junctions l-DNA PNA LNA GNA Methylphosphonate
- Nucleic Acid Nanotechnology: Modified Backbones and Topological Polymer Templates
- Book Title
- DNA and RNA Nanobiotechnologies in Medicine: Diagnosis and Treatment of Diseases
- pp 225-240
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- RNA Technologies
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg
- Additional Links
- Templated syntheses
- Conducting polymers
- DNA nanotechnology
- DNA-based nanotechnology
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 92. Institute of Chemistry/Biochemistry, Free University Berlin
- 93. Inst. Bioorganic Chemistry, PAN Poznan
- Philip Lukeman (00091)
- Author Affiliations
- 00091. Chemistry Department, St. John’s University, 8000 Utopia Parkway, St Albert’s Hall, Queens, NY, 11439, USA
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.