Article 6. Capacity of States to conclude treaties
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
At first glance, the laconic statement on the treaty-making capacity of States (ius tractandi) appears to be rather redundant and self-evident: all parties to the VCLT have sufficiently demonstrated their treaty-making capacity by ratifying the Convention. The provision’s “general jurisprudential character”, however, shall not hide the fact that its adoption has initiated an important legal development. It is the purpose of Art 6 to safeguard the treaty-making capacity of States against any attempts to limit its scope. In contrast, Art 6 does not deal with the competence of States to conclude certain treaties (→MN 8). The legal effects of a lack of that competence or the prohibition to conclude treaties on certain subject matters have to be assessed on the basis of other provisions of the Convention (Arts 27, 46, 53, etc).
- C Brölmann The Institutional Veil in Public International Law, International Organizations and the Law of Treaties (2007).
- JP Dobbert Evolution of the Treaty-Making Capacity of International Organizations in FAO (ed) Essays in Memory of Jean Carroz (1987) 21–102.
- R Geiger Die völkerrechtliche Beschränkung der Vertragsschlußfähigkeit von Staaten (1979).
- G Hafner The Legal Personality of International Organizations in A Reinisch et al (eds) Liber Amicorum Neuhold (2007) 81–100.
- Hungdah Chiu The Capacity of International Organizations to Conclude Treaties, and the Special Legal Aspects of the Treaties So Concluded (1966).
- E Klein/M Pechstein Das Vertragsrecht internationaler Organisationen (1985).
- I Pernice Völkerrechtliche Verträge internationaler Organisationen (1988) 48 ZaöRV 229–250.
- JW Schneider Treaty-Making Power of International Organizations (1963).
- I Seidl-Hohenveldern The Legal Personality of International and Supranational Organisations (1965) 21 Revue égyptienne de droit international 35–72.
- F Seyersted Common Law of International Organizations (2008).
- K Zemanek Das Vertragsrechtder Internationalen Organisationen (1957).
- Article 6. Capacity of States to conclude treaties
- Book Title
- Vienna Convention on the Law of Treaties
- Book Subtitle
- A Commentary
- pp 105-117
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg
- Additional Links
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- ID1. , European Legal Studies Institute, University of Osnabrück
- ID2. , Law Faculty, University of Salzburg
- Author Affiliations
- 1. European Legal Studies Institute, University of Osnabrück, 49069, Osnabrück, Germany
- 2. Faculty of Law Department of Public Law/International Law, University of Salzburg, 5020, Salzburg, Austria
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.